Phone mount?

apocc
apocc Posts: 12
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm picking my new bike up tomorrow! Really looking forward to it. I've bought some of the essentials already, helmet, chain, lights etc. I was looking at getting a bike computer but thought my smartphone would do a better job so I'm going to use that.

Can anyone recommend something for my Galaxy S7 edge since its huge? I don't want one of them huge bag holders though! Anyone have a decent one?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You will crash, it will break, and you will be sad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ^^^^^^^^ he's correct.
    Smart phones are just too fragile. Cycle computers and GPS devices are much tougher, more reliable and more accurate.
  • apocc
    apocc Posts: 12
    I'm not planning on using it whilst off road! Just for street use and if I do crash it on the street, I have insurance!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then you are in the wrong section. Roadies are that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What do you want the phone to do?
    Is it just to map your ride or do you want to use it for guidance?

If it's the former then use an app like 'Map My Ride'. It uses GPS and you can leave the phone in your pocket or back pack whilst riding.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Apocc wrote:
    I was looking at getting a bike computer but thought my smartphone would do a better job#

You thought wrong!! </biff>

A Galaxy S7 is a massive phone and will suck as a bike computer in so many different ways. Firstly it's just way too big to mount on your bars, it'll dominate the handlebar area. The screen will be difficult to see in direct sunlight. Because the screen is on the battery will run flat in no time.

Do yourself a favour and get an ordinary bike computer - doesn't have to be a fancy one, you can get a wireless one for a few quid. Leave the phone in your pocket doing the tracking.

But in answer to your question - Quad Lock!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wot he said.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Here's my experience. When I started I used my iPhone for running Strava - as said above, I just set it running then put it in my backpack. Obviously this tracks your ride but you get no feedback.

Then I got a Wahoo RFLKT, which is like a mirror screen that connects to your phone by Bluetooth and displays the ride data; the phone can stay out of the way with the screen off (so battery life is good) and the RFLKT is robust and small enough to mount on the stem and show you various data. Since it is not, itself, a GPS unit it is cheap, but does require you to take your phone (which I would do anyway, regardless of whether I am using it for tracking or not).

I have recently added a road bike to my stable, and am now considering a proper computer (eg Garmin EDGE) to allow for road-going navigation. However, I am perfectly happy with my phone/RFLKT set-up on the MTB.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I use my sony smartwatch. Was £100 but I wear it most of the time anyway so not just an expensive bike gadget. I get strava info (distance, time and average speed) or I can use it with viewranger for navigation. I've used a bit pipe lagging and mounted it on the bars of my road bike for nav.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No available for a G7 (for good reasons I suspect!). iPhone and G4 only.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No available for a G7 (for good reasons I suspect!). iPhone and G4 only.

Interesting. There are good reasons to mount your phone on your bars, I do that on my turbo trainer bike for example - no chance of it falling off there. I use the Quad Lock with my iPhone 6.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Despite my advice to the contrary, my son has a phone mount on his road bike for his Galaxy S6. It looks ridiculous; it's like a tea-tray on his bars, and the semi-industrial bar clamp is mahoosive. I think it must've been designed for a motorbike.

Got it off Ebay or Amazon, I forget which