The easiest way to replace internal cables?

h.m.s.salty
h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
edited August 2016 in Workshop
So, this has been asked a thousand times before I'm sure but what is the easiest way to replace internal gear cables?
Ideally I'd like to go down the route of putting in some plastic tubes for the cable to follow along to protect against the elements but I have no idea where to buy that from so if you could tell me where that'd be great?

But I'm open to any other suggestions of how to do so, some have suggested using thread tied to the old cable and after its been pulled all the way through, just reversing the process but how would I go about tying the thread to the cable?

Again, any suggestions appreciated thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    TUF PVC tubing.

Simplest method is to attach a thread of cotton to the old cable before removing it. Tie it to the end of the new inner and pull it back through. If the cotton comes unattached, use a vacuum cleaner with a narrow hose attachment (I use a cut off funnel end taped to the vacuum hose) to suck the cotton through the aperture. Tieing it on is best done with repeated knots starting about 1 inch from the end making sure to overlap the cotton thread to help keep the end of the cable inner going straight.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Flâneur wrote:

That will work if your frame has apertures large enough to take the guides magnetic ends. Some frames have apertures only large enough to take the cable inner and nothing bigger, not even the aforementioned TUF PVC straws.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    If you have some old brake or gear cable outers lying around, you can reasonably easily strip them back to extract the wee plastic tubes you can use for these purposes. Takes some patience through as you have to cope with the metal coil which forms the second layer of most cable outers. LBS may have some lying around as well.

Once you have the plastic tubes (long enough for the full length of internal routing), you slide them over the existing cable inners, through the frame openings (assuming they fit, as per the above) and out the other side. Then, leaving the plastic tubes in place (use tape!), pull the old cable inners out of the frame. No magnets required.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I tried the cotton on the inner but it came away during the operation. The cable eventually went in without too much fuss by rotating the frame on the workstand so that the drop was almost vertical but matched the natural curve of a new inner that's been coiled up. A bit of trial & error saw it through and in.
  • I used a wheel magnet to get mine through.
  • They sound like top tips from the Viz comic if anyone remembers it!!!!
  • Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up going to my local fishing shop to buy some pvc piping and did the job that way. Cheers for the help