Anyone commute from Fife to Heriot Watt Riccarton?

chewa
chewa Posts: 164
edited August 2016 in Commuting general
Hi,

I will shortly be commuting from Fife over to the research park. I'm trying to find the best route.

So far I've used the route from the bridge, through Kirkliston, along past the airport then up Gogarbank past the Robber Bank's Headquarters.

I thought there would be a more direct route via Newbridge and Ratho, but the roads surfaces and standard of driving on some of the snmaller roads that side is very poor.

Not wanting to use the canal path- it's too slow. prefer to use the road where possible, I'm a confident, assertive (sometimes aggressive!) cyclist so don't mind mixing it with cars, but just want the fastest route. Will be using audax or road bike in summer, audax or mtb in winter.

Any ideas?

John
plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
FCN 7
While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Unicycle
Couple of others!

Comments

• Struggling to think of one that would be quicker than the one you've mentioned - bridge, Kirkliston, A8, Gogar Station Road.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • I'd suggest Dalmeny, then take the cycle path up to the Cramond Brig at which point you move onto the A90 for a couple of hundred yards and then turn right onto the Marbury Road...
    Cheers.

Nodoubt when I start doing it I'll fine tune.

John
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    I'm just up the road from you at Sighthill . Several ways but if wanting to avoid traffic etc , come over the bridge and down into Kirkliston . If you cut through Newbridge ind estate and head towards Ratho you can take the back roads up towards Riccarton. All quiet roads .
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    Just reread your post again. Why not just come in on the A90 cycle path in to Crammond . Then cut up through the back road at Cammo thus avoiding Barnton. You can then go right and head to the Turnhouse road etc . Stay on the paths etc past the tram depot and cross the bridge at Robbing bank of Scotland and well you know the rest. Dunno what time you commute in at but I'm usually on the bridge about 630am