Can I go tubeless on my standard rims?

mrbubbaman
mrbubbaman Posts: 171
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought one of these http://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/prod ... -650b.html

Took it out for its first ride this weekend and got a pinch puncture on the trails. My mate has gone tubeless on his Bossnut and gave me the rest of this sealant.

Can I do it on the standard wheels and tyres? There seems to be mixed views on it, some saying you should run proper tubeless tyres. The inside of the wheel has tape around the spokes.

What's the thoughts?

WHEELSET
Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole
Continental Trail King 27.5" x 2.2" Folding

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Maybe.

The tape that's there won't seal it, so you'll want a proper tubeless rim strip. Beyond that, it's just a case of trying it and seeing. Many combinations of tyres and rims will work, some just won't. £20-25 should get you a set of rim strips and valves, so it can't hurt to try.
  • mrbubbaman
    whyamihere wrote:
    Maybe.

The tape that's there won't seal it, so you'll want a proper tubeless rim strip. Beyond that, it's just a case of trying it and seeing. Many combinations of tyres and rims will work, some just won't. £20-25 should get you a set of rim strips and valves, so it can't hurt to try.

Cool, I'll give it a whirl :)

According to my wheel details, they are 19mm internal width, so I'm assuming 21mm tape from Stans will be OK?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I've just gone tubeless on no name wheels on a decathlon bike. Instead of Stan's tape I used gorilla tape with proper Stan's fluid and valves. Worked a treat.

Not sure about the 19mm vs 21mm Stan's tape. Those two extra mm might make it tricky?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mrbubbaman
    Just to update, I did go tubeless this week and it seems to have worked.

I bought the stans tape it was a waste of time, couldn't get it to stick the the rim properly, one wheel was ok, but the other one would not stay inflated.
    I took it all off and used Gorilla tape, which did stick perfectly and after a battle getting the tyre to pop, it eventually did and has stayed inflated for a whole day.

Did a quick test ride with the tyre psi reasonably high and will lower it on Sunday when I go out on the trails.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    Just to update, I did go tubeless this week and it seems to have worked.

I bought the stans tape it was a waste of time, couldn't get it to stick the the rim properly, one wheel was ok, but the other one would not stay inflated.
    I took it all off and used Gorilla tape, which did stick perfectly and after a battle getting the tyre to pop, it eventually did and has stayed inflated for a whole day.

Did a quick test ride with the tyre psi reasonably high and will lower it on Sunday when I go out on the trails.

Was this with just the continental standard tyres that came on the bike?