Prepare for bike ride after work

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited August 2016 in Health, fitness & training
Hello all,

Just wanted some guidance about what to eat to make sure I don’t bottom out on my ride after work.

For instance today.

7am Started the day with a cereal bar and a banana. With a instant coffee(is essential im afraid)

Lunch will be at 12ish, options from jacket potatos, pastas, salads, fruits, grilled chicken, sandwiches(made to order) etc.

Leave work at 4pm today will be home around 5:15, head out at 5:45-6pm for a ride. Will do 15 miles ish.

Bear in mind im heavily overweight and only just started exercising.

Some tips on what to eat and when would help with timings running up to my ride. In the past its put me off going out for a ride and having a wobble.

Again thanks in advance.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm doing the 5-2 diet - I only need to shift a few pounds.

I'm finding that I am OK on fast days to exercise.

I dont have breakfast.

A few coffees in the day.

A small sandwich for lunch and straight out from work - running for 90 mins or so. So much more calories than a 15 mile bike ride.

No problems.

You're not a car - you don't fuel yourself from what's in your tum.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    For a 15 mile ride you don't need to eat anything other than the normal 3 meals a day.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • As above. You don't - shouldn't - need to eat anything extra for a 15 mile ride.

I often go on that length of ride first thing in the morning, before breakfast, and don't feel the need to eat anything extra later.
  • maybe i wasn't making it clear, what i was asking is more on the lines of what types of foods are good for keeping the energy at a good level.

if im eating at say 12:30 but not riding untill 6pm whats best to eat to last or what could i have maybe at 3ish to make sure im good.

im not looking at eating more, in fact im eating less to lose weight but dont want to start my ride with no energy and get half way round and have a wobble.

just to remind you my fitness levels are very low and my weight is very high.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I would suggest anything that has energy but not lots of refined sugars or it wont last, look for things with complex carbohydrates (brown bread, brown pasta, oats and lots of other things). You'll probably know from dieting that a healthier diet in general can give you more energy all round though. Good luck on the weight loss though, depending on your weight it should come off pretty fast with a good level of exercise and dieting
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    First, the caveats. I'm no nutritionist. I'm also no athlete. Nor am I in any way qualified to give advice on this.

That said, here's what I can say based on what I do. I often ride after work, either directly home from work (about 13 miles of 90% off-road with a decent grade 4 climb in the middle) or once a week I meet a group at 7:30 and we go for anything up to 25 miles, mostly off-road.

My preparation is to carry on as usual. The only concession I'll make is that around 3-ish I might take on a flapjack or something similar and I also try to make sure I drink plenty (I tend to forget to drink at work). I don't feed during the ride, just take on water.

Exercising on an empty stomach has been stated to be beneficial to weight loss (if that's your aim). By eating 1,500 calories a day and riding 2-3 times a week I lost around 18kg (just under 3 stone) in 6 months. In that time I never 'bottomed out' in terms of energy. I believe that pacing yourself is important. Work hard but don't overdo it.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This is why you need to lose weight. You don't need anything at 3pm to keep up the energy.

You're over eating.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Fenix wrote:
    This is why you need to lose weight. You don't need anything at 3pm to keep up the energy.

You're over eating.

I eat five meals a day. Am I overeating ? I doubt it?
  • I think there is another misunderstanding. I mean to splitting my meal up rather than having it all at lunch and leaving a large gap.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think there is another misunderstanding. I mean to splitting my meal up rather than having it all at lunch and leaving a large gap.

No it doesn't matter in fact probably better if it's well digested. You don't need food in your tum to fuel you.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    kinioo wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

You're over eating.

I eat five meals a day. Am I overeating ? I doubt it?

You might be overeating. We can't tell. If you're fat then yes. If not then no. The OP has said he needs to lose some weight.
  • Dont cut out all fat, the right type will actually help to burn stored fat. Also any eaten will be stored as the body needs a certain amount.
    5-6 smaller meals a day spread out (meals include small snacks) will keep metabolism high and help to only store small amounts of fat as your body is 'trained' that it wont be starved.
    Dont overdo refined sugars and the riding that you do.
    All learnt from research from a few years ago when i was lifting weights. Should be the same for all sports.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    cougie wrote:
    I think there is another misunderstanding. I mean to splitting my meal up rather than having it all at lunch and leaving a large gap.

No it doesn't matter in fact probably better if it's well digested. You don't need food in your tum to fuel you.

Its no fun cycling on an empty stomach, although I agree that you're not fuelled by what's in your stomach.

I would say splitting up your meal is a good idea, eat something around 3pm.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava