Ladies Hybrid or rigid mtb for other half

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
Morning all,

I'm looking for something basic as a starter bike for family rides. Last night I picked up an Apollo Hybrid from Halfords - absolute rubbish, seatpost would not move for a start, everything needed setting up, took it back.

We want something basic but reasonable quality. Up to around £200.

So just looking for any recommendations please. I''m happy to go 2nd hand if anyone near me has something to offer - i'm in Middlesbrough. Must be clean and in good nick though. She's 5ft 9 so medium size.

Comments

• shinsplint
    oxoman wrote:
    Have a look at Decathlons bikes also carerra subway is way better than Apollo but still halfords. Merida do a cheapish hybrid type bike but may be a bit over budget.

Cheers Oxoman, had a look at Decathlon, they seem good value.

I've seen the Specialized Sirrus which looks good, but a fair bit more expensive...

Will keep looking :)
  • shinsplint
    oxoman wrote:
    The sirrus was my first proper bike but soon got rid of it and upgraded to a proper road bike. Nothing wrong with it other than to expensive compared with other brands. You pay a lot extra for the specialized name, they are built by merida by the way.

Didn't know they're built by Merida... not an issue though.

It turns out my brother can get 50% off bikes at Evans Cycles with a policy he has, so this is a big help :D
  • Could you stretch to a Voodoo Marassa, £240 less 10% British Cycling paying in-store, or cashback of ~4% via Topcashback paying online?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Keep an eye out in your local bike shops for an end of season deal on a Giant hybrid. I've been impressed with them.

Do you need a ste-thru design? Woudl she ride a 'mens' frame? I got my wife onto a mens frame as they are stiffer.

Evans have a sale on at the moment so maybe pop in and see what they have
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Just been and picked up a Carrera parva womens hybrid from Halfords today, (boxed and built up by myself, which consisted of attaching bars, wheels, seatpost and pedals), for the GF's 1st bike. Very impressed to be honest, yes its got basic equipment and its a bit little bit heavy but for the £145 I paid with extra BC discount you cant really go wrong. It will do her to get started and is capable of light off road duties. Highly recommended at the price.