handlenar rise advice

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm planning to buy a riser handlebar for my 29er, does it make much difference if you're running a 29er with 40mm rise? has anyone tried this setup before?

I'm thinking whether take my friend's 40mm or get a new 15mm rise, or riser height is more of a preference thing?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The only reason for rise, or sweep, or width is to put the grips where you need them. It's a combination of bike length, stem length and rise, and the height of the bars to start - steerer tube length, spacer stack height, head tube length.
    Combined with the other contact points of pedals and saddle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    40mm rise is very unusual on a 29er. You may find you get a loss of front end grip.
    If you're wanting a more upright riding position, a shorter stem would also do the job.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    If you think a riser will help you get more comfortable then try the one from your friend first, then buy. If you just want to change it for trend reasons then good luck!!!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • core00
    40mm rise is very unusual on a 29er. You may find you get a loss of front end grip.
    If you're wanting a more upright riding position, a shorter stem would also do the job.

Oh really? Haha that's how i feel atm im using my friends 40mm riser and front keep loosing its grip. Planning to get a more low/mid like 15 or 20.

Also no its not for trend purpose, i keep getting back pain with the handlebar that came with bizango as it was a flat bar.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Was it quite straight as well? Not enough back Sweep on bars kills my back.
    29ers generally have flat bars to compensate for the extra height due to the bigger wheels and longer fork.
  • core00
    Was it quite straight as well? Not enough back Sweep on bars kills my back.
    29ers generally have flat bars to compensate for the extra height due to the bigger wheels and longer fork.

The riser has up sweep degrees like 9 i think, the flat as well but yeah stock flat bar was killing my back.

Oh I see, i didn't know that :o but seems like riser isn't so bad as its not giving me back pain. But my problem is the front end is not keeping its grip specially uphill. I removed a spacer as well to see how it feels but seems still the same.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Try a low riser and a shorter stem to get youore upright but keep some weight on the front when out of the saddle.
  • core00
    Try a low riser and a shorter stem to get youore upright but keep some weight on the front when out of the saddle.

Thanks Rockmoney, will probably order a low riser maybe a 15mm and 40mm stem. I tried my friends Capra today and he's running a wide bar with 35mm stem his bike was so responsive even a slight turn.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sometimes you can change how a bar feels quite a lot by just by rotating it in the stem clamp to change the up/backsweep balance, as a rule of thumb I start with maximum sweep back up inline with my forums as I find that there or thereabouts most comfy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    If you're struggling to keep the front down on climbs then surely a shorter stem is the last thing you want? I went for 90 to 60mm and there is a noticeable impact on climbing.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A riser bar will have a similar effect to a shorter stem when it comes to keeping the front wheel down.
    Going straight to a 40mm stem could be quite an extreme change unless you currently have a 60mm stem. Just go 20mm shorter, get a cheap one from eBay to try before buying a more expensive one.
  • core00
    A riser bar will have a similar effect to a shorter stem when it comes to keeping the front wheel down.
    Going straight to a 40mm stem could be quite an extreme change unless you currently have a 60mm stem. Just go 20mm shorter, get a cheap one from eBay to try before buying a more expensive one.

Yeah already have 60mm which comes with the bike that's why my next one will be 40mm to see how it goes.

I dont quite get this bit, rotating the what?
    rotating it in the stem clamp to change the up/backsweep balance

@JGTR
    Well I wanted to try a shorter stem anyways, as I still feel like 60mm isn't as responsive when cornering but I will try a cheap 40mm one and see how it is. But yeah the front end is my problem as it feels it has less contact on the ground, I have to move myself to the edge of the saddle like almost to the tip of it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You can't compare a 60mm stem on your bike to a 40mm stem on a mates bike. The difference in the bikes geometry will be more significant, although I found the Capra steered like an oil tanker, similar weight as well.
  • core00
    You can't compare a 60mm stem on your bike to a 40mm stem on a mates bike. The difference in the bikes geometry will be more significant, although I found the Capra steered like an oil tanker, similar weight as well.

Yeah I know I'm not comparing the Capra, I'm just saying that 60mm seems slow on steering that's why I want to go 40mm to see how it feels.

Will order a 40mm and low/mid riser later this week.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    core00 wrote:

I dont quite get this bit, rotating the what?h
    rotating it in the stem clamp to change the up/backsweep balance
    rotating the bars obviously, as if you are twisting grip shifting when holding the grips.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.