Halfords and BC discount

Hurricane Warrior
Hurricane Warrior Posts: 147
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have always been able to buy items from halfords and even if in the sale etc, got a further 10% off, So with that in mind I planned to buy a new mountain bike with 20% discount and thought plus another 10% super price :)

Problem was at checkout I was told they no longer gave the BC 10% on top, gutted or what anyone else experienced this?
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• compuwiz_uk
    compuwiz_uk Posts: 139
    had no major troubles over the last couple of weeks.

bought some pedals with a glitch on the website giving me 20% off of them which was nice as they were below the spend n save value that was the active offer at the time so happy for the discount.

rocked up instore to collect & they were more than happy to also apply a further 20% voucher code i had ( womans cancer ride scheme - still active for a day or 2 more ) BUT they would not also apply the BC discount of 10% off ontop :( - they said 1 or the other instore discount thus i plumpted for the 20% one :D ( month ago maybe a tad more they were more than happy to apply both vouchers ontop of web reservations )

then a week later same again, 20% off all bikes offer, online reservation made & paid instore using BC discount for a further 10% off without fuss, they did restate only 1 voucher instore though ontop of the online reservation price

seems to me that the recent purchase of tredz & wheelies has given em a kick up the ass & made em tighten up on the vouchers being applied :( - i really miss stacking my online offers with vouchers instore.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not had a problem, try a different store.
  • compuwiz_uk
    compuwiz_uk Posts: 139
    the above of mine is from 6 of my nearby stores over various items from accessories to bikes.

no trouble with online offers & BC ontop once going to pay for bikes or accessories instore.

BUT they have locally started to clamp down on multiple instore discounts ontop of discounted online web reservations, so not really a problem as such, more that they are finally sticking to what procedures they should have been sticking to all along lol
  • thommo41
    thommo41 Posts: 39
    I bought a bike with the BC card on Friday. Not an issue at all. I told the guy on the till who wasn't sure, that I'd checked with their online advisors before ordering and he accepted my word. I wasn't lying, but still, not even a call to his manager was a pleasant surprise. So try telling them you had it confirmed online via chat before hand?
  • At the time and I may have been wrong, I felt like I was being given the wrong information, you know when you get that feeling ;)
    He didn't even try the card when normally someone would give it a go, if it worked it worked!
    He phoned someone to check, who confirmed it was a no, think maybe he didn't like the thought of me getting the extra off or something, I don't know!
    I emailed halfords to check if 'no BC discount' was the case as I've always had it in the past, and they confirmed that I would be able to get it off as well as the running 20%.

So I'll be popping back in there to get my £50 back
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    If you get your bike from Halfords, before first ride check it thoroughly yourself or take it to the PROPER LBS to do it for you if you are not confident - they are assembled by monkeys!!!!! (very similar to B&Q's weekend staff - not a clue whatsoever!!! )
  • BC discount is supposed to be only on instore prices, so no guarantee it will be allowed with web orders, also not supposed to be used on Cycle to Work
  • kinioo wrote:
    If you get your bike from Halfords, before first ride check it thoroughly yourself or take it to the PROPER LBS to do it for you if you are not confident - they are assembled by monkeys!!!!! (very similar to B&Q's weekend staff - not a clue whatsoever!!! )

Cheers for that sweeping statement, some of us Monkeys do take pride in our work
  • I must be honest before moving to a new area the halfords I went to where I lived previously they were very good and I learned a lot from them myself, although most of the time I go to EvansCycles who are awesome in my area too
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    kinioo wrote:

Cheers for that sweeping statement, some of us Monkeys do take pride in our work

Sorry if I offended you!

However, have used my local Halfords 3/4 times never, ever have had good experience with their staff; they couldn't give me any proper bike related advice/answer. On top of that bike bought by my friend from Halfords was not assembled / set up correctly.

You are correct, i probably shouldn't generalize people but that's my experience.

C.
  • Well the outcome was good I got the discount from BC on top of the 20% so very pleased
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've never had an issue getting the BC discount, usually order online and collect/pay instore - there's no way to get the BC discount online anyway. In addition, I get a "spreeflex" pre-pay card through work which gives discounts in various stores including 8% in Halfords, so I pay with that and get another 8% :-) It sometimes makes Halfords very good value indeed.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    I bought a Boardman FS Pro with 20% off and they wouldn't add the extra from British Cycling
    That was Farnborough store, I tried twice with 2 different staff members on 2 different days
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    BC discount is supposed to be only on instore prices, so no guarantee it will be allowed with web orders, also not supposed to be used on Cycle to Work
    Only web exclusive offers I.E. Stuff or offers you can't get in store. I pretty much pre order everything I buy from halfords on line, for cash on collection, and use my BC card with no problems
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    I bought a Boardman FS Pro with 20% off and they wouldn't add the extra from British Cycling
    That was Farnborough store, I tried twice with 2 different staff members on 2 different days

Halfords discount can be used in conjunction with in store discounts according to BC website unless clearly advertised otherwise. See link below, 4th bullet.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membe ... -discounts
  • halfords instore have a similar price match policy as the online system ( basically the store has to price match there own website if the online price is lower ) SO B.C discount should still be applied unless its an instore mega managers end of line super special type thing ( this is the only time i have known my local store flat refuse ANY further discount of some sort ( other than the vouchers trick - tis hard for em to say no to that one as its not them giving the discount )

the only other time you cant use BC discount is like mentioned above, WEB exclusive deals as there is no store collection possible, its pay online & have delivered to your door only is that if memory serves & you cant use BC online with halfords :(

i have a strange feeling some stores are taking the 1 instore discount limit my locals have now taken on to the extreme & instead self applied a 1 discount total approach & thus they are saying the online discount is it :( - tis all gone pete tong since they bought tredz/wheelies i tellz ya lol