[Solved] Skipping 3th/4th gear while shifting down

gravelhillbiker
gravelhillbiker Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

Changed the wire and hose and thought everything would be OK, but my wishes didn't come true. When shifting gear down to the larger gears it skips 3th or 4th. Always the same though, but cannot remember exactly. It works perfect otherwise, and I'm at a loss. It's a Shimano 9 gear cassette. The rear derailleur is 6-7 years old.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Was it the same before you changed the cable? If so, and it's indexed as well as can be, likely bent mech or hanger.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for helping. No, wasn't the same, but it wasn't good. The problem was that it didn't shift until it decided to (same gear). That was fixed by installing a new wire.

I have tried loosing the wire, but then it wont shift upwards from the highest. Will invest in a new rear derailleur I think.
  • cooldad
    Or try indexing properly first - read parktools. And you should check the hanger before shelling out on a new mech.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Parktools straightening tool costs 89 dollars, and a new Deore mech 41 quids. I have really worked on the indexing, and I think something else might be wrong.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Most frames have a replaceable mech hanger which will cost £10-15, and if that's bent, a new mech won't help. What frame is it?

Having said that, if it wasn't happening before, it's almost definitely that you've not got the indexing quite right.
  • cooldad
    I said Parktools for indexing, not a hanger straightener. Just take it off, assuming it's removable and fairly standard shape, and check it on a flat surface.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I see. Thank you very much. It's a unspecified Asian made frame. I will work on the indexing and check the hanger. I removed the mech and hanger, but it should be quite easy installing it again? Can't see I did anything wrong there. Used a momentum tool.
  • cooldad
    No idea what a momentum tool is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    cooldad wrote:
    No idea what a momentum tool is.

A hefty kick.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • It was the wire that was on the wrong side of the mech. It was on the outer side. Put it on the inner side and it was all fine.