Edinburgh bicycle co-operative

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,424
edited August 2016 in The cake stop
Anyone here use this company? Anyone here work for this company? Anyone here (non uk) tried to buy anything from this company?

Their website delivery destination choices in the basket are for Uk Mainland and UK Islands there is no option for any other location.

I know they sell to us weird foreign folk.

I have written to them 3 times to explain the problem.

They don't understand that their site is not working properly and they don't always bother to read fully your emails or even to answer subsequent emails.

Somebody tell them that they should at least STILL TRY AND SELL TO EUROPE, at least for the next two years or so, especially as they are based in Scotland :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I bought my first road bike on cycle to work from them and my girlfriend got her commuter in the same manner. Friendly guys and a reasonable range. All in the UK from their shops though for us ;)
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    T47, you could get it delivered to my house. Then you could come and get it. I'm way south of Edinburgh.
    I bought my tourer from them last year, and it has proved to be pretty good. So keep trying with them, I think they do good stuff for a good price.
    If it's tyres and stuff have you tried a LBS?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,312
    I'll sort the feckers out.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    T47, you could get it delivered to my house. Then you could come and get it. I'm way south of Edinburgh.

Hopefully you're also about 1700 miles further south of Edinburgh :wink:
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    team47b wrote:

Hopefully you're also about 1700 miles further south of Edinburgh :wink:
    Just 500 or so. On the plus side, I am not far from the Portsmouth ferry. And you could visit the motherland. I hear the Mary Rose exhibition is good. Bring a coat...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • team47b
    I don't own a coat :D

I used to work with a Mary Rose.

I will call in to visit you next time I'm cycling by :D

Back OT
    Just found out that...
    You can select Europe as a destination ONLY if your isp says that you are located in UK, if your IP location is Europe you can only select UK, NOT A LOT OF USE :roll:

Aren't wiggle in Portsmouth?

Off to shop elsewhere! :wink:
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Could you use a free vpn to get a temporary uk ip address and then order to European destination?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,312
    diplodicus wrote:
    Could you use a free vpn to get a temporary uk ip address and then order to European destination?

I called them on T47's behalf.

They said:

"Some items are outwith Royal mail. As you don't pay at the point of ordering, you can add a message and they can arrange courier and then recalculate the total.
    Some items cannot be shipped."

T47's response was:

It doesn't matter what I try to order, the destination drop down menu is UK only ( I know uk residents can see Western Europe as an option, pointlessly, but not from outside UK)

Couriers, re calculate! If they can't calculate or have a working web site (after all it works if you live in the uk) or bother to reply to emails then they can FRO I'm not bothering to shop there again!

Tell them I'm deleting the bookmark, unsubscribing, and they are off my Christmas card list! Perhaps they could let me know when they arrive in the twentieth century : )

Bought elsewhere now!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    there is no unsubscribe to their newsletters on their website so I sent them an email asking to be unsubscribed, they very kindly replied promptly this time and assured me that I had been unsubscribed...until quarter of an hour late I received the latest newsletter, at least this had an unsubscribe link so I was able to do this myself :roll:

I still can't believe in this day and age one has to request the postal cost and wait for this before the order can be placed, perhaps I'm spoilt by ordering from wiggle with their free international postage :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    could've been worse

they could've accepted your order, but then used yodel for delivery
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • team47b
    sungod wrote:
    could've been worse

they could've accepted your order, but then used yodel for delivery

Not knowing what Yodel was I googled it, on their web site under the heading Yodel world view was this sentence ( I have not altered it nor taken it out of any context)

"Collection and Delivery are not guaranteed but currently enjoy a very high success rate."

I would have thought that guaranteed and 100% success rate would be a minimum requirement :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    they're currently trying to deliver to me, but their tracking system claims that yesterday they "couldn't access" the building and today it is in their depot

when i chased their help desk, turns out the truth was their courier couldn't find the building

even with the full and correct address, gps, and excellent coverage by many online street map and routing services, yodel can't find a thirteen story office block in central london

i blame wiggle for this, a lot, they chose yodel and had the cheek to charge extra for priority delivery, i feel a refund coming on
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    I bought my first road bike on cycle to work from them and my girlfriend got her commuter in the same manner. Friendly guys and a reasonable range. All in the UK from their shops though for us ;)
    That's our experience of the local shop too. They hadn't got the model we were interested in in the size we wanted, and a member of staff lent us his bike to try out sizewise..we went off for half an hour and they were absolutely fine..
    I also marshal for a local sportive they support, and the support is first class.
    However their website and the 'ask us a question' facility is absolutely pants..they take ages to answer, and then don't answer the question you've asked :(
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    That's our experience of the local shop too. They hadn't got the model we were interested in in the size we wanted, and a member of staff lent us his bike to try out sizewise..we went off for half an hour and they were absolutely fine..
    I also marshal for a local sportive they support, and the support is first class.
    However their website and the 'ask us a question' facility is absolutely pants..they take ages to answer, and then don't answer the question you've asked :(

They were my local bike shop in Newcaslte when I decided to try commutting. Very impressed with the service in store, got a Ridgeback Speed which was perfect for getting around Newcaslte and Gateshead, and towing the kids at weekends . I now live in Hampshire, 300+ mile from my local store but I still use them and bought my Genesis CdF from them when they had one of their 15% off everything weekend. I bought a replacement pannier hook from them last week, (after mine got whipped off by a the draft of a close passing car). I find they answer emails quick and are very friendly on the phone.

Shame their website is not up to scratch for overseas orders. Hopefully they will take notice of this thread.