Recommendations for a bearing drift

philclubman
philclubman Posts: 229
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone has some advice on what bearing drift to buy and where from. It will be to replace the bearings in my Miche Primato hubs and also in my Token HT2 external bottom bracket cups. I've tried searching and there seems to be lots of recommendations for using screwdrivers and socket sets, but not any links to purpose made drfits.

ebay seems to have some options, but not sure whther they are any better than a socket set. Thoughts and advice are welcomed.

This is the kind of thing I've seen. Any thoughts on whether this is what I need? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearing-race-seal-bush-driver-set-tool-kit-aluminium-mm-18pc-by-BERGEN-AT237-/141060064970?hash=item20d7d5c6ca:g:Sx8AAOSwEetV~SNy

s-l1600.jpg

Comments

• philclubman
    philclubman Posts: 229
    oxoman wrote:
    I use something similar to this at work but made out of plastic, to be honest we always used a sleeve or socket or something similar to do the same job.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any reason you prefer to use a socket to one of these?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Drift out using socket, drift in using old bearing.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    If these are miche primato track hubs (not sure if it's the same issue on road hubs), getting the old bearing cartridges out is a real shag: there is not enough clearance in the axle channel to work a socket through and still get purchase on the "back" of the cartridge.

I resorted to buying a blind slide hammer bearing puller: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00L7F ... UTF8&psc=1

I didn't need a drift to get the new bearings in, just tightened the cone nuts, which pressed the cartridges in nicely.
  • Dyrlac wrote:
    If these are miche primato track hubs (not sure if it's the same issue on road hubs), getting the old bearing cartridges out is a real shag: there is not enough clearance in the axle channel to work a socket through and still get purchase on the "back" of the cartridge.

I resorted to buying a blind slide hammer bearing puller: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00L7F ... UTF8&psc=1

I didn't need a drift to get the new bearings in, just tightened the cone nuts, which pressed the cartridges in nicely.

Thanks for that.

The hubs are the Syntesi road ones. Anyone know about removing the bearings? Sounds like a good idea to press the new bearings in with the pre-load caps (I think I read that right).

I've got an old BB that's not on the bike, so I'll have a go at replacing the bearings in those cups with a socket set.

Miche_Primato_hubs.jpg?v=1437048584
  • Sorry I can't help but I'm about to replace the bearings on my sintesi hubs so would you please post on how you get on and what you use so I can learn from your experience?