Tiagra front caliper

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited August 2016 in Road general
I am thinking of fitting Tiagra front caliper to a flat bar bike I am building and was wondering if it would work ok using a bmx style lever . I have heard in the past that you have to use road bike lever/shifter to get the right leverage. Please can anyone clarify this . A bike shop told me this a while back but not sure if this is true or if they wanted to sell me some levers. Cheers.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It will work.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Be cautious- some flat bar levers (like the ones designed for vee brakes) can be quite dangerous when mixed with dual pivot brakes. Your best bet is to look at other flat bar road bikes to see which levers they use.

Good luck!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I am thinking of fitting Tiagra front caliper to a flat bar bike I am building and was wondering if it would work ok using a bmx style lever . I have heard in the past that you have to use road bike lever/shifter to get the right leverage. Please can anyone clarify this . A bike shop told me this a while back but not sure if this is true or if they wanted to sell me some levers. Cheers.

If you are referring to 4700 Tiagra, then the BL-4700 flat bar brake lever is compatible with the BR-4700 brake caliper.
    http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/lc/1.7 ... _4700/2x10
  • Thanks guys a big help. Tiagra levers the way to go .
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Just to spice it up a bit, fit some 105 5800 Brakes, some of the best stoppers out there regardless of price.