Vector 2/s calibration problem

Wilby_89
Wilby_89 Posts: 96
edited August 2016 in Road general
I have got a park tool torque wrench and a crow foot adapter that I am using to tighten the vector 2/s pedals.
I am switching them between two bikes.
Using the recommend torque of 40nm on my first bike (Merida) I get a value of 0.03 to 0.06 which seems okay.
Switched to my 2nd bike (Mekk) same installation process getting a calibration result of -0.40 to -0.50 therefore I thought will it needs a bit more tightening so went up to 44nm and still getting the same result so tried using a torque of 34nm and still getting the same results.
Why is this I thought the amount of torque would affect the calibration results which doesn't seem to be the case.
Must have spent over 6 hours reinstalling and testing and can never get that sweet 0 to appear.
First bike result 0.03 to 0.06 seems okay but the second bike result of -0.40 to -0.50 seems to be way out.
What is going on just spent over £500 for the pedals and £100 on the torque wrench just to get inaccurate power reading.
PLEASE HELP, Somebody must have had the same problems, Been on Garmin forums for hours with no results.

Comments

• Cant you ask the shop who supplied them?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Wilby_89
    I've sent them back to the shop for testing but over the phone they could give me an answer.
    Does nobody have the Garmin vector 2/s that will be able to answer me.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Sorry, I can't help you with your Vectors, but I will say to anyone considering a pedal based system, that Favero Bepro's are a no hassle route.

Just tighten them as you would a normal pedal, calibration not affected by the torque. As long as the crank is vertical they 0 every time.

30 hour battery (a low battery warning comes on with 4 hours remaining) recharged by plugging into USB.

Competitively priced, and highly recommended.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I have these pedals, and had no issues with them initially installed on an Ultegra 6800 equipped bike, 0 every time.

I then moved them onto my turbo bike, which has FSA cranks, and like you get the same figures, pretty much all the time, though it does vary.

I never got to the bottom of it, and as I received a smart turbo for my birthday, will be removing the pedals from that bike, to put them probably on yet another different bike, but this will also have a 6800 crank fitted - will be interesting to see if it goes back to 0.

I use a Sealey torque wrench, and the supplied crow foot adapter that came with the kit.

I wonder if they do not get on with the profile of some cranks perhaps?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wilby_89
    Daniel B.
    When you were getting the different calibration test result from your first bike which wasn't on the 0 mark did you find that it affected your power output compared to the first bike where you were getting 0 results.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Personally, the switching of Vectors between bikes is 'oversold'.
    Once the setup has been reached on one bike it can be a can of worms to transfer to another bike... as you are finding.
    I run Vectors on one bike mainly... I dont use use a torque wrench to tighten my version ones but a meaty pedal spanner with lots of feel and mechanical advantage to tighten the pedal up. They remain accurate until on a whim I swap.. like last night... doing a club ten... power just dropped after 5 minutes into it..
    Proper setup / test is best on a turbo... trying to calibrate, set angles etc on the road is a pita.
    The BePros look good.. well they dont actually look good but I feel they deliver more.
  • daniel_b
    Wilby_89 wrote:
    Daniel B.
    When you were getting the different calibration test result from your first bike which wasn't on the 0 mark did you find that it affected your power output compared to the first bike where you were getting 0 results.

On my first bike, it always calibrated to 0, so I can't help you there unfortunately.
    I will reply on here to say what it does when it is back on an Ultegra bike though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joe2008
    JGSI wrote:
    The BePros look good.. well they dont actually look good but I feel they deliver more.

tbh I think they look much better than Vectors because there's no unsightly pod hanging down.

Also, they're not carrying around AAA batteries like the P1's, and they're a little more than half the price of the competition.

I've only had them a month, but so far, they've been completely reliable, no power drop-outs at all.
  • Wilby_89
    Does anyone know that If you don't get a 0 result on calibration test will this affect your power output results.
    Cannot seem to get a clear answer on this anywhere.
  • joe2008
    Wilby_89 wrote:
    Does anyone know that If you don't get a 0 result on calibration test will this affect your power output results.
    Cannot seem to get a clear answer on this anywhere.

I would hazard a guess that it will affect the accuracy of your power output results...

Calibrate: 'Correlate the readings of (an instrument) with those of a standard in order to check the instrument's accuracy.'
  • KevinA
    KevinA Posts: 492
    Wilby_89 wrote:
    I have got a park tool torque wrench and a crow foot adapter that I am using to tighten the vector 2/s pedals.
    I am switching them between two bikes.
    Using the recommend torque of 40nm on my first bike (Merida) I get a value of 0.03 to 0.06 which seems okay.
    Switched to my 2nd bike (Mekk) same installation process getting a calibration result of -0.40 to -0.50 therefore I thought will it needs a bit more tightening so went up to 44nm and still getting the same result so tried using a torque of 34nm and still getting the same results.
    Why is this I thought the amount of torque would affect the calibration results which doesn't seem to be the case.
    Must have spent over 6 hours reinstalling and testing and can never get that sweet 0 to appear.
    First bike result 0.03 to 0.06 seems okay but the second bike result of -0.40 to -0.50 seems to be way out.
    What is going on just spent over £500 for the pedals and £100 on the torque wrench just to get inaccurate power reading.
    PLEASE HELP, Somebody must have had the same problems, Been on Garmin forums for hours with no results.

Are they the right size for both set of cranks
  • Wilby_89
    I got the standard size which are 12-15mm which seem to fit perfect.
    Spoke to Garmin Europe this morning and couldn't get a straight answer so she said she would supposedly email (doubt it) the Garmin headquarters in Kansas with an answer and reply to me by email which I am still waiting for.
    Probably didn't even send the email .
    Just want to know if anyone has had different calibration results and if so did it effect the power output.
  • daniel_b
    Wilby_89 wrote:
    Just want to know if anyone has had different calibration results and if so did it effect the power output.

There's not going to be an easy answer for this though, unless someone has carried out tests in a lab.

But the fact there is a calibration option, to me means it HAS to effect the readings it takes, otherwise there would be no point in having it.

I'm guessing here the figures would be out by 0.1% etc (I am assuming a reading of 0.1 on your Garmin correlates to 0.1%), which on the face of it is not much is it?
    So if your FTP was 250, and you were trying to ride at 250, it might be out by 0.25 of a watt.

It could be that I am totally wrong in my laymans analysis, but if that is the case, it is nothing to worry about is it.

I accept if you are sprinting, then that magnifies the difference, but even at 1000 Watts, it would still only be 1 watt out - again assuming my assumptions are correct!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wilby_89
    Just got the email from Garmin and this is what they said.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
    Further to our recent telephone conversation, I can confirm I have been in touch with our engineers and they assured me the numbers during the calibration will not affect accuracy. They are intended for a different test. The reason the values move is because the pedals are measuring micro movements. If the calibration result is "successful", the variation should not affect the accuracy of your results.

I hope this puts your mind at rest. If there are any problems with the pedals, please don't hesitate to call or email us for further support.
  • daniel_b
    Wilby_89 wrote:
    Just got the email from Garmin and this is what they said.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
    Further to our recent telephone conversation, I can confirm I have been in touch with our engineers and they assured me the numbers during the calibration will not affect accuracy. They are intended for a different test. The reason the values move is because the pedals are measuring micro movements. If the calibration result is "successful", the variation should not affect the accuracy of your results.

I hope this puts your mind at rest. If there are any problems with the pedals, please don't hesitate to call or email us for further support.

That's good to know, does seem a bit bizarre though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wilby_89
    Tell me about it.
    Didn't explain in the email what the test is actually for then lol.
  • KevinA
    KevinA Posts: 492
    Wilby I calibrated my Cervelo today and it came out as 0.03