What Shimano Cassette should I get ?

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Morning All,

Probably will be changing my cassette, chain(s) and front N/W ring soon. I want to install one-up so will need to remove one of the middle rings from the cassette, so the question is:

- what shimano cassette has separate rings / removable rings ??

I don't think XT 771 does ?

Thanks

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Have you considered buying a 26/28T 64-BCD n/w chainring to replace your current inner chainring and then buying a less expensive SLX 11-36 cassette?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kinioo
    Have you considered buying a 26/28T 64-BCD n/w chainring to replace your current inner chainring and then buying a less expensive SLX 11-36 cassette?

My setup is 1 x10 currently with N/W ring.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you need an XT cassette to remove one of the middle ones. my son uses a 26t oval to get the gearing he needs on the granny ring attachment, changes gear much better than having an expander on the back. absolute black make them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or get a Suntour MX3 cassette and no need for the expander, cheaper and lighter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or get a Suntour MX3 cassette and no need for the expander, cheaper and lighter.

Rookie, do you mean this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod149194
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, Uberbike was the cheapest at about £49 last time I looked.

The black look snazzy but the colour wears off quite fast from the chain, so I went for the silver.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Or the ms3 which is cheaper but I'm guessing like standard deore quality.

I'm looking at upgrading cassette once my current 11-36 wears out as its a bit limited with the 34t I'm using at the moment.

Also looking to add a one up radr cage for better shifting through the lower gears to the 42t.

Don't praxis works also make an extended range cassette?
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yup, Uberbike was the cheapest at about £49 last time I looked.

The black look snazzy but the colour wears off quite fast from the chain, so I went for the silver.

is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunrace-Wide-R ... B01ACD1M7Y

MX3 or MS3 ???
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably MX3 which has an alloy big sprocket, MS3 has a steel one. So one is lighter, one might last longer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools