Buying advice - Beginner cyclist.

Gavsl123
Gavsl123 Posts: 26
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello i am looking to buy a new bike to get into cycling, i am currently sitting at close to 18.5st so i am very hesitant to buy from your standard high street retailer.

However i have seen this bike that i quite like.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015

Would this be able to handle my weight, i would just be cyling on canal routes and pavements and such

Also will buying a bike w/o suspension make a difference

Thanks
Gav

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any vaguely decent bike will handle your weight unless your planning jumps!

The Subway is a decent enough bike and close to bomb proof, also look at the Voodoo Marasa which for a bit more money is a much better bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gavsl123
    Thanks for the advice man. I've seen the bike you suggested on ebay for £150 is that reasonable ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on condition, but yes, very reasonable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gavsl123
    Also have you got any suggestions on what saddle i should be using, as when i use a small standard one it hurts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your butt toughens up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Buy some padded shorts to go under your clothes. Makes a huge difference and quite cheap :)
  • Gavsl123
    Thankss