Planet X Experiences - Buying a new bike!

Boneidle24Seven
Boneidle24Seven Posts: 44
edited August 2016 in Road general
Hi,

I'm interested in buying a Pro Carbon bike from Planet X but I'm a little concerned regarding their customer feedback.

There are quite a few negative reviews from customers who are saying they would never use them again or recommend them.

I'm just reeling from a crap experience with Mango bikes and am in the process of getting a refund after purchasing one of their Point AR bikes. Loads of problems right from the start. But the rear wheel pulling out of the drop-outs on two occasions sealed its fate.

So I'm a little reluctant to risk another similar experience with Planet X, although I suspect the bike will be ok, its just their customer service and waiting times and sending bikes fitted with wrong parts that frighten me!

So does anyone out there have any experiences with them, good or bad, I'd like to hear.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My order was ok, a few hitches (cyclescheme). Bike was spot on.

Neighbour ordered last week. She amended the order the next day (crank and stem length). All sorted easily, bike came in 5 days, flawless.

All my orders from them of non bike stuff (i.e. not bikes) have been pain free.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Bought a Pro Carbon and lots of other stuff from PX. I have had the bike about 4 years now and it has been excellent to ride and had no problems at all. If possible go to the Rotherham store and speak to Craig very helpful and really nice guy.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    *Gets popcorn*
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ordered three bikes from PX over the years. Two mail order and one where I got a fit for it in the store and collected.

No issues whatsoever. I'd happily order from them. I got the right bikes very promptly and with the right parts.

Bear in mind how many PX bikes are out there - and you get people complaining about every brand at some point.

I always ignore the top and bottom reviews for a place and look where the majority of reviews fall.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

There are quite a few negative reviews from customers who are saying they would never use them again or recommend them.

It's the way of things. Disgruntled customers are always more vociferous than happy ones, yet I imagine the happy customers far outweigh the unhappy ones. I've bought from them many times and they've always been very good.

I don't understand your point about the wheel on your Mango just 'pulling out' - can you explain? That wouldn't happen unless either the QR was loose, or the frame had failed. Which was it?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Canyon also recently had many disgruntled customers for various reasons but when I bought my bike from them it was a straightforward and speedy transaction/delivery.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I have only good things to say, but in your boat I'd be looking at buying from a LBS. If you do have any problems then you can pop into the shop.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I'd like to hear about your mango experience, and the Point AR as i was looking at them! Are you considering the London road from planet x - read the thread on here as there have been quality issues.

I've bought from PX in the past, a frameset and some components. The frameset paint has some marks (paint bubble), not bad enough to send back - but thought I'd mention it as a quality point. The dedicated seat post was damaged and they sent out a new one next day so the fault was annoying, but resolution was good.

In your situation I'd consider going to a local shop so you see what you are getting. I bought a bike from cyclesurgery, delivered to my home. The wheel wasn't true, and the seat was damaged. I went into a local store and they swapped them over there and then.
  • Thanks for the comments chaps. I think I'll go for it and hope for the best. Unfortunately I cant really visit them as I'm in Southampton, so it's a fair old trek if I do!

Imposter, the wheel pulled out as I was out of the saddle cycling up a hill. When I put the wheel back in at the road side, I could see that it was no longer sitting straight in the frame, even though the wheel wasn't buckled. I took it to my LBS to be checked out. He couldn't find anything wrong with the frame but said the wheel needed re-dishing (not that this would have caused the wheel to come out). He suggested, as you did, that the quick release wasn't tight enough. I reluctantly accepted this as the cause, but then two days later, it happened again. Out of the saddle grinding up a hill and it just pulled out and jammed everything up and I went arse over elbow! There is no way that the quick release wasn't tight enough this time.

I think the culprit was two little washers/spacers at the end of the spindle next to the end of the cassette. I've never seen spacers here before on any bike and the LBS guy said that its because they've used the wrong rear hub/cassette. I don't know if he was right or not but after the second crash, I was done!

Anyway, thanks again. if anyone has any more comments, I'd be pleased to read them.
  • Alan Sherman, My Mango experience was not good.

when I ordered the bike I had a phone call to confirm the order and was told that my bike would be about 7-8 working days. Over a month later I finally got my bike after many repeated calls and emails, only to be told that they were very busy.

Out of the box, both the front and rear mech were not aligned at all. In fact they were shocking. I had to unbolt the front mech and start from scratch. Then I found that the disc brake calipers weren't aligned over the rotors either. The front was easy, the back was impossible because the rotor was warped/bent. Mango sent me a replacement rotor and all was good for a day or two. Next I noticed that the headset was loose, although this was easily rectified, it's not very good for a new bike! Then the problem with the back wheel started. I was constantly having to adjust the rear mech too as it never seemed quite right and shifting was not good. So with all the waiting in between, I think I spent more time frustrated than riding, actually.

So to sum up, no, I didn't have a good experience with Mango.
    Would I recommend them? No probably not. But then lots of other people seem to love their Mango bikes, so don't let me put you off. Maybe I was just unlucky.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

So to sum up, no, I didn't have a good experience with Mango.
    Would I recommend them? No probably not. But then lots of other people seem to love their Mango bikes, so don't let me put you off. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Replace 'Mango' with 'Planet X' and that probably answers your original question...
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    To re-iterate Imposter.. Bad news travels fast, as they say.

My first, and so far only, dealings with PX was a few weeks ago when I ordered a frame. They had an on-line chat. From that I purchased a recommended size frame which fits my sons stature perfectly. It was easy to order and quickly delivered.

Like you, I'd read some negative comments, but am glad I made the decision to make the purchase, and will use them again.

Steve
  • zoomer42
    zoomer42 Posts: 124
    Unless you have to have a brand new bike, I'd not bother going direct and just look at buying second hand on E bay. There are loads of Planet X Pro carbons on there and you'll save yourself a few quid.
  • Wilby_89
    Wilby_89 Posts: 96
    Spent a lot of money on their summer sales buying clothes, handlebars etc. and they were brilliant swift delivery which they keep you informed on the delivery process.
    Always liked the look of their carbon road bikes, let us know what you think of the bike when you get it.
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    I've ordered a Planet X bike, It was a over a month ago. I'm still waiting.... apparently they are waiting on the odd component to build it. A part that I could get tomorrow from almost every online shop in the UK, but they just like to wait for imported stock.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I got a RT90 from them last year. Everything from start to finish was great. Build came within the week. The bike is fantastic too. It was a stop gap but 12 months on and love riding it.
    Only gripe was I thought the rear brake cable was a tad too long when coming out if the frame.. a simple fix and more personal taste than construction.

I would look at an RT80 or 90 instead of a pro carbon though..
  • rickeverett The RT-80 is lovely, but with a starting price of £999.99, that's pushing my budget and marriage over the limit.

Where the other half is concerned, £899 is taking the rip! :?
  • bendertherobot
    Yeah, Pro X pricing has gone a bit sneaky, so to get my neighbours spec of Vision 35 and Hutchinson tyres pushes it to £899. She paid £749.

The RT80 Tour Edition is kitted out very well at £999

It might be pushing it, but it's certainly worth it IMO.
  • bendertherobot
  • bendertherobot
    Or

https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-lomb ... 92842.html

Or, do you really really want carbon? Shed loads of superb alloy bikes out there, particularly now!
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Where's MikeBrew? He usually sits on the fence when it comes to Planet X.

FWIW, when I buy from PX, 9/10 they're perfect, but the times they get it wrong is usually a monumental f*** up. But as the CEO once said to me on the phone, people don't hear about the times we get it right.
  • Something to think about there Bendertherobot, thanks. I was quite keen on the Eastway until the video reviewer mentioned the harsh ride and stretched out racer stylee position. The PX pro carbon is apparently a very smooth ride with a slightly more upright ride position. Something to think about anyway. I'll keep my options open. :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had good service from Planet X over the years, had three frames off them so far. Brought an Inbred frame, opened the box and the frame was white when I ordered a red one. Looked at labels, PX and CityLink and the PX label had a different address and phone number on it. Phoned PX and they said they'll sort something out, in the meantime I contacted other person who had received a red frame when they had ordered a white one. Phoned PX back and told them what had happened and they said they had a rep in the area who'd swap frames around, an hour later all sorted.
    Only issue with Planet X I've had is Yodel, their courier.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bendertherobot
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ev ... ter%20List

£599 carbon bike from Ribble. "Only" Tiagra but it's the good type.
  • Wow, That looks good!
  • dinyull
    If you have £900 to spend then a alu Trek Emonda with Tiagra is probably the way to go. Will be lighter and stiffer than any carbon job at the same price and loads of scope to upgrade.
  • The Trek Emonda S4 looks nice. £960 is the cheapest I can see! :?
  • dinyull
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Trek/Emonda-ALR-4-Road-Bike-2016/A0WO

ALR 4 with new Tiagra. One of lightest Aluminium frames on the market with full carbon fork.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited July 2016
    I had a dissapointing experience with PX a few years ago now - they had some Zipp bars and stems on offer that were probably posted on here I expect, and I ordered one of each, £100 the pair.

Eventually they contacted me to say there was a stock level error, and they could not supply them - no possibility of ordering more in, or of offering an alternative, which I found rather dissapointing, and the way it was handled did put me off them, I have to be honest, as prior to that I was all for springing 2K with them to get his n hers carbon bikes for my girlfriend and I.

In the end it worked out much better, as I nabbed a pair of CR1 frames from Westbrook, so was pretty happy as it panned out.

I do still shop with them, but it only tends to be for small parts, or tyres here and there - I don't recall having any issues with any orders since, and have probably ordered from them a dozen times approx.

I was considering ordering an 'Adventure' bike from them in the spring I think it was, but the harvesting of names isn't something that makes it more likely for me to buy a 'Viner' from them to be honest, I'd be more likely to buy one if it simply said Planet X, but that's a personal thing.

Now I have a Synapse, I doubt I will be bothering with an adventure bike now though.

Back on topic though, how about this?
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-720-carbon-road-bike-105-id_8339670.html
    big_9bb7686957194f109ee0cfc32eda6827.jpg

So that's £880 for a carbon frame, that I think may have a lifetime guarantee, and is fitted with Shimano 105 5800 11spd transmission - not knocking the Trek, but it strikes me as a better deal pound for pound?
    Especially IF the OP wants Carbon, but of course only if the geometry suits him.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18