Split fasted training

53/39alltheway
53/39alltheway Posts: 44
Finding myself lacking the time for a specific fasted session every week and was thinking about a "split" session where I start the ride fasted, ride for two hours and then switch to carbs, club run to cafe looks ideal for this as we usually ride steady to and fast back. Anyone had any succsess doing this?
Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What are you trying to achieve by doing this?
  • Usual reasons for fasted training, to be more efficient at using fat as fuel and i could do with losing a kg, i havnt got the time for a dedecated fasted session in my usual training week.
    Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
    Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
    Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You could lose the kg just by modifying your diet.

I don't see why your plan of riding to the cafe stop in a fasted state wouldn't work, but how will you know if you've become more efficient at utilising fat as fuel?? Riding fasted you're still also using glycogen stored in your muscles / liver.
  • zoomer42
    zoomer42 Posts: 124
    Could try taking in more carbs the night before rather than eating mid way through your morning ride. Or if loosing a kg is the real goal, just eat normally and have the energy to ride your bike harder
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    ...to be more efficient at using fat as fuel...
    Do you need to be more efficient at using fat as fuel? Or do you just think it sounds a good idea? In my experience most people who need to get better at burning fat as fuel will be doing training which promotes just that, such as plenty of long endurance rides. If you don't need to get better at burning fat as fuel, then why try to artificially manipulate your training to achieve that?

I know it's a popular idea and magazines are full of suggestions about doing fasted rides but unless you've got a very serious endurance challenge ahead of you I suggest focusing mainly on doing adequately-fuelled training specifically focused on your goals.
    ... and i could do with losing a kg....
    Maybe just eat a bit less? Won't take you long to lose 1kg if you eat a few less calories every day.

Ruth
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    if the goal really is weight loss you could always become fat adapted day to day through conscious diet change, you'll lose weight more easily and become more efficient on longer rides on the bike when you would normally start to knock