Tubeless setup, sidewall leak

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have converted my Whyte T-130 to tubeless, as it came all ready. Rear wheel has been fine, sealed perfectly on the WTB Asym rim and WTB trail boss tyre. Have same set up for front wheel, but it seems to have an annoying leak in the sidewall which won't seal. I have left it overnight on its side and taken it out for a ride to get the Stans sealant into any holes, but it still seems to loose pressure. The leak seems tiny, there is no tear in the tyre, seems to be one hold, doesn't seem scuffed or perforated.

The tyre is pretty much new (maybe 100 miles on it) and hadn't punctured the previous inner tube on rides out. Am I in need to a new tyre? Or is there a better way of getting the sealant to do its job (i.e. adding more - there is stuff sloshing around still) ? Or are WTB tyres just a bit crap (seen mixed reviews on them).

Any thoughts appreciated! Don't really want to go back to tubes but seems a bit pointless if sealant doesn't do its job!
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Do you know where the leak is? We went tubeless with a well worn set of Maxxis Beaver tyres which were hilarious when first pressurised as there were white dots all over the sidewalls where old thorn holes were present. Still sealed fine with Stans. Could the valve be leaking? Or via a spoke hole / rim tape?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • superkenners
    Hi Larkim, I'm pretty sure its the sidewall as keeps getting fresh sealant in that spot. Valve seem ok even though the rims are not exactly square, which sort of leaves the valve at an angle anyway. But these seal fine once the nut is tight. I was trying to avoid removing the tyre again to check the rim tape as the sidewall seemed to be the cause.

One error I might have made is not shaking stans bottle properly before adding to tyre, not sure if that makes big difference. Maybe could put some superglue on the offending spot to try and plug gap from that side too?

Bit of a learning experience for me!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's coming out the sidewall, hold the wheel flat and 'swirl' it one way up at a time to coat the inside of the sidewalks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • superkenners
    I tried leaving on its side all night with Stans loitering over sidewall leak, pressure seems to stay up (99%).

I get the impression there is nothing to suggest the sidewall should not seal, its just a question of persevering. I might try and put more Stans in (after a good shake) to see if that helps matters.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    could always put a small puncture patch on the inside of the tyre too
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I'd still recommend the age old trick of pumping up the wheel and rotating it through a bowl of water to see if there are any other leaks. If for no other reason than to rule out the possibility of there being multiple air escape points!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • superkenners
    Thanks Larkim & dgunthor, good ideas!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130