France: cycling near Poitiers

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited August 2016 in Commuting chat
OK, anyone been on hols in this area? What's the cycling like? Am off soon and have no experience of this bit of France, all feedback most welcome!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    I spent a fortnight in Perigne which is 14 miles SE of Niort a few years ago.
    I found that area to be mainly flat but found some short steep climbs. The drivers were courteous.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I found that area to be mainly flat but found some short steep climbs. The drivers were courteous.

Flat? Curses, was hoping it would be like around Catus where we've been before - lovely rolling hills, epic cycling.

• pblakeney
    SecretSam wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Flat? Curses, was hoping it would be like around Catus where we've been before - lovely rolling hills, epic cycling.
    Google Maps for Poitiers. Turn on terrain. Zoom out till you find hills.
    Be prepared for disappointment. There are some, small but possibly steep. Poitiers itself is on a hill for example.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I like to look at mapmyride and strava to check out routes - a quick look at Poitiers shows rides that are 100+miles with 2-300 metres climbing total; that's flat.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yeah it's flat but it's also pretty damn nice, just enjoy the quiet roads good views and sunshine
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • secretsam
    Just to update: it was actually the Creuse valley, which meant there were some rather nice hills (near Crozant, for those who want to know). Weather was splendid, French drivers typically super-considerate (only near miss was with a Brit), roads empty...sigh

Plus as a super bonus, the Tour du Limousin was on and a stage started nearby, so got to see that - Majka, Bouhani, et al

Great stuff

PS: Futuroscope is epic

• pblakeney
    SecretSam wrote:
    Hmmm.
    I was about 10-15 miles away from Futuroscope and didn't bother. Missed opportunity I suppose.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • secretsam
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Hmmm.
    I was about 10-15 miles away from Futuroscope and didn't bother. Missed opportunity I suppose.

You missed a treat! We weren't going to go but Mrs SecretSam got chatting to some Brits who'd been and loved it. TBH, it helped to speak some French, but it was really super, Cirque du Soleil show, lots of 4D stuff, live shows, the lot - really, really good. Wish we'd had more time there. Even the food was decent and reasonably priced!