Extra long rear wheel skewer?

esuhlesuhl
esuhlesuhl Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a pannier rack that (by design) mounts through the rear skewer.

When I got it, I also got a Halo XL skewer so it would fit. But it was only just long enough, and now I need to fit an extra washer (to stop the mount bending inwards).

The Halo XL skewer specs state that it is for 135mm dropouts that are 10mm wide:
http://www.halowheels.com/products/part/HUHAQHXD

So now I need a skewer that's at least 6mm, but ideally 8 to 10mm longer. I've been looking for ages, but I just can't find one the right size. :(

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions! :)

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I had to bodge a pannier rack by modifying it to fit the bolt holes on the frame. That may be a possibility for you in avoiding installing it on the recommended rear skewer. Worth thinking about.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    I had to bodge a pannier rack by modifying it to fit the bolt holes on the frame. That may be a possibility for you in avoiding installing it on the recommended rear skewer. Worth thinking about.

Unfortunately I don't have any bolt holes for a pannier rack on the frame.
    cooldad wrote:

Thanks. I already bought the 190mm Hope Fatsno skewer, but it's about 40mm too long. I'm guessing the 170mm one would be about 20mm too long.

The skewer on the second link is labelled 165mm, so... 15mm too long...? There's about 10 to 12mm of spare thread on the skewers I have, so it's possible that would fit, but I think it might still be a few millimetres too long. :-/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't think anyone makes skewers specifically for your pannier issue.

You're welcome.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A friend has a rack that is held on by the skewer, came with an extra long one.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I reckon the 165mm would be just about right - 135mm spacing, another 7mm or so each side for the width of the dropouts totalling 150mm that needs to be clamped. The nut that goes on the end of the skewer is probably around 15mm wide, so it could be spot on.

If its a little too long you can always just put a wider spacer/washer on it - the Tubus rack mount axle comes with some wide ones and this is what they suggest doing: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-adapter-s ... -mounting/
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Cut off the extra thread from a longer one?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    oodboo wrote:
    Cut off the extra thread from a longer one?

^^^ this, cut it shorter and use a die to cut the thread if you are now on the skewer without threads, you're unlikely to find one the exact size you need
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cut threads are considerably weaker than the original rolled threads. They'll strip in no time.
    Usually if a rack needs a specific skewer it will come with one.
  • Cut threads are considerably weaker than the original rolled threads. They'll strip in no time.

That's good to know. I was thinking that'd be my next step, but I ordered a 145mm tandem skewer and... it fits perfectly! I'll have to return the 165mm and 190mm ones.
    Usually if a rack needs a specific skewer it will come with one.

Yes -- that's what really annoys me. Axiom (the rack manufacturers) don't supply skewers. And they still haven't responded to the message I sent them asking if they had a solution. (Surely lots of other people who buy their skewer-mounted racks would have had the same problem?!)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Out of interest where did you get the 145mm skewer in the end?