Front suspension fork

Ognjen73
Ognjen73 Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello fellow MTB-ers i just got used Scott Genius 10. And last owner had it parked somwere outside and someone stole front fork suspension adjuster. I took it to some bike shops and services and they have no idea what that adjuster looks like.
Fork is Suntour xcr with 135mm of travel. And adjuster is on right hand side of shock. It has some walve stem looking thing witch seems to loosen/tighten suspension depebdim how far i press it.(pressing it all the way locks the shock)
Here is how it looks. IMG_20160725_005816.jpg
If you could help me indentify how adjuster looks so i can order it online.
Thanks and greetings from Montenegro! :)

Comments

• careca78
    careca78 Posts: 102
    Hello

Try the exploded views in the customer download section:
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/iw/ser ... ded-views/

You just need to know the year and model.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    if it helps, you can find out the year from the serial number:

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/cs/icons/how-to-find-the-serial-number/
  • Ognjen73
    Seems like mine is made in Taiwan. S/N is T06A0120
    Does it mean it is made in 2006 or taiwan shocks are indentified differently? :?: :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's not strictly an adjuster, it's an on/off lockout lever, if you don't intend to lock the forks out, you don't need it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ognjen73
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's not strictly an adjuster, it's an on/off lockout lever, if you don't intend to lock the forks out, you don't need it!
    I know but when set up like this with fully stiffened shock gives me about 35% SAG and it feels too soft to be ridden hard. :/
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    To be honest, it's not a good fork and the adjuster does very little other than add a very small amount of spring preload. The difference between max and min settings is not much at all.
    If you want to ride hard then you might want to spend some cash on a better fork.
  • Ognjen73
    To be honest, it's not a good fork and the adjuster does very little other than add a very small amount of spring preload. The difference between max and min settings is not much at all.
    If you want to ride hard then you might want to spend some cash on a better fork.
    I know fork isnt that good at all but it must do for this season as i paid bike quite alot for our standards here in Montenegro.
    Just service after getting it costed me around 200€ (Lubeing bearings, changeing rear brake line as it had leak, flushing and replacing brake oil, new resin brake pads, rear shock service.) And not including cost to travel to only shop in our country that has tools and knowlage to do it. I will get new one on winter when i order studded tires :)
    As of preload thats what i need more of, so even a little will do better job for me. Right now it feels so soft i cant take sharp turns without ending up in a bush lol. Jk ofc but its too soft to have full control so anything would help. I will end up most probably riding it fully locked. :)
  • Ognjen73
    cobba wrote:
    Thanks but i need to know what i need to get as there is alot of different adjusters...
  • Arthfael
    Arthfael Posts: 30
    Ognjen73 wrote:
    cobba wrote:
    Thanks but i need to know what i need to get as there is alot of different adjusters...

Run your fork serial number at their website and try to find the corresponding pdf sheet. It has codes for every part.

Also good luck with suntour man. Got a new commencal el camino some weeks ago that came with a suntour XCR 32 120mm 2015 fork and the stiffness on it its a joke. Im 1.92m 93kg and its impossible to get correct sag, also on descents the fork is almost bottomed making it unstable. I tried to find a harder spring for that model but its impossible, I keep finding for the 100mm though. I even contacted them, they asked for my serial number, gave them that and never heard back from them again, and its been some days now. I ended up locking the fork, better rigid than having a bottomed down fork and crash.

It sucks to spend money on a good bike and ending up with such a soft fork.
    and I know your feel, I also cant change the fork as I lost my job recently and I spent all my money on the bike :P

Sorry for the long response
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If your fork is that soft the preload won't fix it. The adjustment from max to min is so minimal that it's genuinely difficult to tell the difference. Preload won't stop it diving anyway.