2016 Rockrider 520 vs 540

reasec
reasec Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello, im Andrew from Czech republic and im new on the forum. After a week of reading, watching youtube etc i went from specialized rockhopper and pitch to Rockrider.

Now i have dillema if RR540 is worth it over 520 (both 2016 models). Im kinda afraid of hydraulic brakes (some folks on italian forum went really mad about them).

I would be really thankful to sort this out.

Thank you

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why would you be afraid of brakes that work? Hydraulic are better in every way.
    No idea if the spocs are the same where you are, but on current prices here the 540 is certainly worth it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • reasec
    Decathlon prices are the same everywhere +-5%. Some people said, that hydraulics loosing pressure. 540 has advantage of better fork and brakes isnt it? Is it really worth the price increase? What about maintenance? Im sorry for being such a dumb person, but my wife has this "why do you need new bike, when you have that 1998 tesco batmobile". Thanks
  • cooldad
    Only if the fluid leaks out - doesn't happen much with cars or we'd all be dead. They need an occasional fluid change, and sooner or later seals might go, but I've got brakes 10+ years old that still work fine. Much easier than cable brakes.

Tell her it's a well known fact that Tesco bikes explode after 15 years, so you are already on borrowed time. If she loves you...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • reasec
    Ok, i made my mind i ill go with 540. Thank you.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    cooldad wrote:
    Tell her it's a well known fact that Tesco bikes explode after 15 years, so you are already on borrowed time. If she loves you...

Love this!
  • reasec
    I managed to get 20% employee discount, so i cant be happier. Dunno what to buy else, helm, bmx 100 pedals and inner tubes?
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Definitely helmet. I like long fingered gloves for trail riding. Decent padded shorts (to wear under baggies). Rucksack, small pump, spare tube, multi tool, either a water bottle or bladder for backpack, maybe some chain lube.
  • cooldad
    Careful with pedals. MTB are 9/16ths, BMX often 1/2 inch.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools