Holiday in October - any recommendations

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited July 2016 in Road general
Morning everyone,

Trying to organise a week away with the missus in early October.
Needs to be a sunny beach type holiday for herself, but id love somewhere that I have the option of perhaps doing a few mornings out on the bike.

I wouldn't need the hotel itself necessarily to be bike friendly, just that there is somewhere good to hire a bike and good quiet roads with perhaps some climbing. Location wise, anywhere would be considered - although we wouldn't go to the extremely busy main tourist spots - prefer a quieter relaxed atmosphere!

I don't ask for much eh! :lol:

Just hoping for some ideas for me to research - seen a couple of great places in Italy, but the costs were sky high, trying to keep the budget down as much as I can within reason - and its always better to get first hand knowledge from members on here that have actually been to the places in question rather than relying on hotel websites.

Any recommendations / experiences appreciated.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    canaries?

hotel or rent a villa (maybe not advisable if you want a break from shopping/cooking...), prices will be lower as long as you avoid half term

in lanzarote playa blanca has bike hire, relaxed, roads are good, from pb you've a choice of gentle rolling or steep heading out

october weather is unreliable anywhere in europe (including the canaries), if you can bear the suspense/risk it might be worth keeping options open and deciding at the last minute based on weather - look at satellite pics to see where the expanses of cloud are and which way they're moving http://www.eurometeo.com/english/meteos ... UMET:VIS-0 if there's 2-3000 miles of cloud about to hit somewhere then it's not a good prospect for beach time over the next week or so
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I had the same question a few months ago and ended up booking Puerto Mogan in Gran Canaria for the last week in October. I have hired a bike for 4 days
  • Crete
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • japiers
    japiers Posts: 17
    A group from my club headed to Gran Canaria last October and had a good experience. Hired bikes from Freemotion
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    I had the same question a few months ago and ended up booking Puerto Mogan in Gran Canaria for the last week in October. I have hired a bike for 4 days

It never rains in Puerto Mogan.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Thanks very much for all the replies so far - a couple of good options for me to investigate this evening!
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    Rhodes .. great riding- coastal and mountains. I've used

www.getactiverhodes.com
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I got quite a lot of helpful assistance (and abuse) here:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13065270
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Canaries will be cold and windy. Sod that. Sicily, Crete, Sardinia may be better options but worth researching weather to avoid disappointment..
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    We've been going to Majorca in Early October for a number of years and always had hot sunny weather.Ca'n Pastilla just 5 minute bus ride from airport.Good beach and not that busy,just a nice resort with plenty of bars etc if you want them.Good bike hire at Berganti bikes.You can preorder bike on line before you go.Take your own pedals if you want.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    Canaries will be cold and windy. Sod that. Sicily, Crete, Sardinia may be better options but worth researching weather to avoid disappointment..

What do you call cold?
  • Nice
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Nice

This or the environs. I rented an apartment nr. the seafront - lovely. 15 mins from airport, you can cycle out of the city and be in the country in a few mins or take the bike on the train.
  • Vaughan1
    Vaughan1 Posts: 65
    try ciclocostablanca albir is lovely and the riding is good. near alicante
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Try the Algarve. We go every November and it is warm (15-20 degrees on average) so may a few degrees warmer still in October. We avoid the traditional touristy strip and stay in a mates villa 10 mins from Faro. You can do flat rides towards the Spanish border along the coast or head north into fantastic hills and wonderful little villages with traditional Portugeuse food at exceptionally low prices. Highest point is Foia at 3000' and a terrific climb (one of many). Take a look at the Tour of the Algarve race stage routes over the last few years for ideas.

Roads are generally very good and you can ride for miles and miles with very little traffic. All in all it is a great cycling location that is only a few hours from the UK but relatively undiscovered in contrast to Majorca!

PP