San Francisco

johnnymcg259
johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
edited July 2016 in Road general
Hi, I'm lucky enough to be going to San Fran during August.
Anyone recommend a cycle shop(s) where I can perhaps get a 'keep sake' of my trip, but also perhaps has a practical use i.e. cycle cap, musette, bottle etc, t-shirt etc.? I'd prefer something that you couldn't ordinarily get in the UK maybe.
Thanks, Johnny

Comments

• harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    IIRC there's a second hand clothes shop on Haight Ashbury with a lot of vintage US cycling jerseys on the racks.
  • johnnymcg259
    Harry-S wrote:
    IIRC there's a second hand clothes shop on Haight Ashbury with a lot of vintage US cycling jerseys on the racks.

Great, thanks for that, just the ticket! I might buy a couple and get them framed back in the UK for my 'bike man cave'. :D
  • Marvinman
    Marvinman Posts: 126
    You can hire bikes in lots of places inc decent road bikes for a day at not much cost. I cycled across the golden gate and to the mountains on the other side of the bay - it was a great ride I'll not forget so if you get a chance I highly recommend it. The climbs are pretty good over in Sausalito and there were lots of roadies out on the weekend. It's easy to find the route and bike rental shops have easy maps. Nothing like a fantastic pic overlooking the golden gate in the early morning sunshine. Only a couple of hrs early morning and from the main promenade it was all cycle tracks.

I ended up using blazing saddles who were pretty good. They had some gear for sale too so may be worth a look.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, definitely take a ride out over the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and up into Marin County - early Saturday morning and there are hundreds of bikes heading that way.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Head to the Napa Valley and eat and drink yourself senseless.

As an aside, Cyclist did an article about riding in San Fran either last month or the one before.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Mt Diablo:- Take the BART to Walnut Creek
    http://bestrides.org/mt-diablo/
    Mt Tamalpais, Cycle across the Golden Gate
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4016316
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Head to the Napa Valley and eat and drink yourself senseless.

As an aside, Cyclist did an article about riding in San Fran either last month or the one before.

Yes, I was just about to recommend that as well. It was actually issue 44 (we're on 50-something now), so quite a few months ago now, and I'm not sure if it's available as a back issue. You might be able to get it in one of their 'Big Ride' compilations, or perhaps an e-version.
  • johnnymcg259
    Thanks all, v helpful.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I drove across america two years ago starting in san fransisco and ended up in boston and new hampshire. I had the same plan was very ecited to buy loads of different stuff. Never found a single decent bike shop in the 3000 miles we drove. Was very dissapointed and the one i googled in advnace if the towns we were passing through were very boring and mainstream. Not what i had imagined. Went new york last year and was a few cool shops there but it was a different holiday and didnt have time for bikes there which was a shame.
    I eneded up buying some gear from the l.l. Bean headoffice in freeport, maine.