Budget single ring cranks?

Kilian2410
Kilian2410 Posts: 8
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am interested in converting my Specialized Pitch Sport 2016 to a single ring crankset. What would be some good options for under £80?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just take the other rings off and it's free. Add a NW and still not much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if your crank has removeable rings then taking them off and putting a narrow wide ring on will be about £30 give or take. The bike is only 8sp though with an 11-34 cassette so you might find it a bit limited in range if you went 1x. if you can't remove the rings then a deore crank & BB is about £55 plus you'd probably want a narrow wide ring. Alternatively if you can swap the rings then you could get a 10 speed deore rear mech, cassette (11-36) , chain and zee shifter for about £85-90
  • POAH wrote:
    Alternatively if you can swap the rings then you could get a 10 speed deore rear mech, cassette (11-36) , chain and zee shifter for about £85-90
    Would I be able to take these components to a local bike store and ask them to change it? I am a bike beginner and have very limited knowledge on switching stock parts.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could, but it will often work out cheaper to buy them from them, they'll charge more for fitting stuff you bought elsewhere.

Or it's the ideal opportunity to start learning!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Yeah I would like to learn more about how they work, but it might end badly if its assembled wrong :/
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Kilian2410 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yeah I would like to learn more about how they work, but it might end badly if its assembled wrong :/

Plenty of how to videos on youtube, I started this way and have recently rebuilt my bike up on to another frame.

If you buy from a local bike shop they often not charge much for fitting as they will have made money on the bought parts.