Eu terrorism = Rise of the right?

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
edited August 2016 in The cake stop
Question, supposing Europe continues to see terror attacks with their current frequency...
Is a rise of right wing / fascist sentiment inevitable?
I can't help but feel it is. There is already a widespread anti-immigration mindset as evidenced in recent times. If terrorism becomes a very real and common occurrence, I can see things getting very ugly.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Yes. Maybe they won't get into power, but these continued attacks, plus the spate of high-profile sexual attacks (Rotheram, Cologne, etc.), combined with declining public confidence in European governments' ability or even willingness to tackle the issues could easily lead to the far right becoming far more influential.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I wonder if things even become worse at a man on the street level.
    If people genuinely perceive Muslims as an enemy within, then how unpleasant may things get? People are already intolerant due to a combination of intolerance and genuine concerns over economic migration. A real fear of terrorism (whether proportionate or not) can only make things considerably worse.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    I'd imagine that's precisely what the terrorists are after.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    morstar wrote:
    If people genuinely perceive Muslims as an enemy within, then how unpleasant may things get? People are already intolerant due to a combination of intolerance and genuine concerns over economic migration. A real fear of terrorism (whether proportionate or not) can only make things considerably worse.

Irish were never lumped together as terrorists so maybe not.

I think more likely that the security forces will start dealing with the problem under the radar.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    I'd imagine that's precisely what the terrorists are after.

Exactly.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Stupid politicians in Europe open the door to millions, many with none or little official identification. European passports issued to them once they are settled =
    Suicide bombings. Machete attacks. Gun massacres. Lorries used as weapons. Rapes. Grooming of children.
    Little wonder then that many people will feel under threat and be anti immigration. Little wonder that some will start to take the law into their own hands. Little wonder then that the 'Right Wing' will raise it's head above the parapet.

Pandora's box has been opened.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    morstar wrote:

Irish were never lumped together as terrorists so maybe not.

I think more likely that the security forces will start dealing with the problem under the radar.

difference being the Irish assimilated themselves into society, were white, spoke english, had a loveable rogue appeal and didnt wear different clothing, people are get scared of anything different, add in that "anything different" might attack you and you ve got recipe for disaster, jeez there were 17m people in this country frightened of the Europeans.

Security forces have zero chance of being able to stop terrorism, they ve not enough man power, the ghettos in european cities are huge, the social problems insurmountable and the attackers can see how successful they can be, with nothing more than a truck and a crowd.

IS seem to be inspiring people to act alone or in small groups, extremely difficult to root out.
  • mr_goo
    This thread is obviously intimating that Right Wing factions will come to the fore in light of Islamic inspired terror attacks across Europe. Yet surely there is a degree of irony in this?
    By definition Islam is ultra conservative, it has a deep rooted devotion to it's ethnic culture. Combined with religious fervour, and a disdain for the influence of foreign powers and foreign (Western) influences. It could be classified as ethnocentric, theocratic and xenophobic. These are all traits found in the right wing.
    Surely it begs the question why the Anti-Fascist leagues march in support of Islam?
    In recent 20th century history some factions of Islam allied themselves with the Nazis in the Balkans to 'help deal with the Jewish population of the region'. Did the genocidal acts of the Balkan conflict in the 1990s have any link back to this?

I would like to point out that my comment is purely observational and one of enquiry to someone who could enlighten further upon this subject in a purely educational aspect.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This thread is obviously intimating that Right Wing factions will come to the fore in light of Islamic inspired terror attacks across Europe. Yet surely there is a degree of irony in this?
    By definition Islam is ultra conservative, it has a deep rooted devotion to it's ethnic culture. Combined with religious fervour, and a disdain for the influence of foreign powers and foreign (Western) influences. It could be classified as ethnocentric, theocratic and xenophobic. These are all traits found in the right wing.
    Surely it begs the question why the Anti-Fascist leagues march in support of Islam?
    In recent 20th century history some factions of Islam allied themselves with the Nazis in the Balkans to 'help deal with the Jewish population of the region'. Did the genocidal acts of the Balkan conflict in the 1990s have any link back to this?

I would like to point out that my comment is purely observational and one of enquiry to someone who could enlighten further upon this subject in a purely educational aspect.

entirely sensible for different ethnocentric/xenophobic groups to dislike one another

I imagine the other alliances are based upon the theory that my enemies enemies are my friends
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Mr Goo wrote:

Of these 3, I'd agree on point 2 - theocratic. However, I wouldn't call it ethnocentric or xenophobic insofar as extremist Islamic fundamentalism is based on belief and belief only. Anyone can join one of the extremist Islamic groups - Chechens, Bosnians, Pakistanis, Nigerians... just as long as you are gullible enough to fall for their shite.
    Mr Goo wrote:

Opposing fascist groups does not mean you support political Islam. If you want to see what those organisations are like, go and look on forums like Stormfront or Daily Stormer. Living in a society dominated by far-right politics is about as appealing as living under Islamic fundamentalism.
    Mr Goo wrote:

No, not really. The other nations belonging to Yugoslavia were sick of living under Serb rule and they were all desperate to get out. They just saw Serbia as some enormous sponge for their taxes, and the genocides happened because there was a lot of contested territory within Yugoslavia.

Anyway, yet another attack today. I can really see governments completely losing their grip on this situation.
  • mr_goo
    finchy wrote:

Anyway, yet another attack today. I can really see governments completely losing their grip on this situation.

I think they already have. Europe (with USA) has poked its nose into Middle Eastern affairs too many times and now the conflict is on our turf. This will go on for centuries now.
  • Pross
    Having spent a long weekend in London and Paris I certainly haven't seen so many armed police overtly patrolling city streets before (army too in the case of Paris). It's not good to see and I couldn't help feeling the terrorists / fundamentalists have already scored a victory in changing our way of life. The Paris police certainly weren't messing about with the Muslim bloke they were having a discussion with at gun point outside Notre Dame on Sunday afternoon! It was also the first time I've travelled across the Channel and felt security was being taken seriously rather than just hoping to catch a few hapless smugglers though that could be partly down to travelling on a bus where probably 50% or more of the passengers weren't EU citizens.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    What is surprising is that there have not been more large scale Terrorist attacks on British soil. Especially given unlike every other country our Police are not routinely armed. They must see this and see a huge window to create havoc on a large scale before any armed presence is able to attempt to act on it.

I was in London this weekend noticed the same. However the reasons behind it is worrying however I don't really have any additional worry about them being out there (Armed officers). You just need to go about business as normal and treat them as a potential safety blanket. Otherwise this is exactly what they are after. Fear factor!!!
  • it would inply that it is a lot harder to get hold of arms and ammo than most people think and that our security forces know a lot more than they are letting on
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    We don't have a big North African/middle eastern immigrant population - a lot of the Islamic terrorism abroad seems to come from those groups. I don't know if that is a factor, something worth looking at anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    it would inply that it is a lot harder to get hold of arms and ammo than most people think and that our security forces know a lot more than they are letting on

A friend of mine has recently retired from Special Branch in a provincial force and said if most people were aware of the threats they were actively monitoring at any given time they probably wouldn't go out (his force subsequently foiled a major plot a few months later).