Another tubeless thread - sorry!

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've tried to set my new wheels up tubeless but not had much luck.

Wheels are Superstar AM Carbon rims.
I go the extra long valves to account for the rim depth - no problem.
I also got he 29mm wide tape that they recommended.

Now the tape is an absolute sod to get right into the bottom of the rim - tape doesn't seem to have any give/flex/stretch in it.

I got one taped up OK eventually and got eh valve in OK.

Tried to seat the tyre - On-One Chunky Monkey - and with the track pump there was one section by the valve that wouldn't pop to complete the seal.

I tried seating the tyre with a tube and it worked OK but took quite a bit of pressure. I thought while I was at it I'd have a go at re-taping the rim. When I tried to take the previous tape I'd put on it was all split and came off in several sections. Guessing that the tap isn't much good??

Would I be better off using a narrower tape as I think the reason the tyre wouldn't seat properly was due to it catching on the tape. Surely the tape only needs to be wide enough to cover the spoke holes and provide a seal either side of them?

I'll also probably need to make a coke-bottle inflator too to store some pressure up.

Comments

• kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Gorilla or any duct tape cut to measure is your friend.

Co2 and when the tire seats properly use track pump to get to the correct pressure.

Sometimes (it did work on mine) it also works when you remove the valve core and use track pump.

Additionally, some soapy water may help.

Good luck.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ideally the tape should be full width so the tyre seals to the tape both sides, not to the rim and then rim to tape....you double the leak paths.

Are you using soapy water to help the bead to go on? A bead that will go on at 25psi with soapy water may need 40-50 without, I use a little liquid soap in a bowl and add about the same amount of water.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Thanks guys will give it another go soon.
    Took 60psi to seat the rear tyre with a tube - had about 3" of tyre that wouldn't seat against the rim properly. Had tyre on & off a couple of times to try and stretch it a bit.
    Not taking them off again any time soon lol.