Post Of The Tour 2016

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,597
edited July 2016 in Pro race
It's time for the annual forum celebration of wit, humour and general "banter". I'll kick it off with this gem from No tA Doctor on the stage thread yesterday.

Who said you can't mix politics and cycling?
Is that a missile or a fish?
A fish.

I was getting crossover with Chilcot.

Were the intel officers reporting WMD getting similarly confused at the time?

"Is that a fish or a missile?"

"Missile"

"I was getting crossover from the TdF"

Previous editions for inspiration

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    We were funny.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I've not been posting much this year for some reason. Can I just pop my "Reichenbach falls" post in here as a banker just in case it happens at some stage and I'm not here to post it?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    One of the unused posters from the EU referendum

O3F01Tw.jpg
  • takethehighroad
    At the request of No tA Doctor
    Joelsim wrote:
    One way of reconciling the two accounts of Froome and Brailsford is that they'd talked about it as a possible tactic to be used but hadn't formed a fixed plan to do so. Froome therefore gives it a go to see what happens, but the idea isn't an entirely novel one. Planned yet unplanned. Sort of thing Nelson used to do on a regular basis. Although not on a bike, obviously.

Nelson would've struggled to be fair, with only one arm.

It's the lack of stereoscopic vision that's the problem. Imagine the shock of realising halfway through a descent that Richie Porte wasn't actually just far away...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    I'll set 'em up, ATC taps them in
    Oh God, look away, it's Aru TTing.

gonzo-face-smashed.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    ^ :lol:

You shouldn't laugh at your own jokes but I am.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Aru suffering.

gonzo-face-smashed.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    RichN95 wrote:
    Today Haimar Zubeldia moved into the top tens of most Tour finishes and participations.

Of course nobody noticed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    ^ Was a cracker!
  • above_the_cows
    A bit cheeky but...
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Obviously, this Tour was awful. Already I can't remember any of it. So I thought I'd do my potted history of the previous 10 years.
    2006 Tour: rubbish. Farcical dopers take chunks out of each other- result irrelevant, waste of everyone's time.
    2007 Tour: rubbish. Only entertainment coming from more farcical dopers taking chunks out of each other whilst stoic serial plodding Aussie brings up the rear.
    2008 Tour: rubbish. Late bit of entertainment comes from serial plodding Spaniard (good climber: hung on in TTs) mugging his own teammates, the Schluckle Brothers, for the win.
    2009 Tour: rubbish. Can't remember much other than famous doping Yank getting dropped and eventually removed from podium finish to be replaced by serial plodding Brit (good in TTs: hung on on climbs).
    2010 Tour: rubbish. Chain fell off- yawn!
    2011 Tour: rubbish. Serial plodding Aussie (good in TTs: hung on on climbs) finally has his plodding rewarded. Whoop-De-doo...
    2012 Tour: rubbish. Serial plodding Brit sets power meter upper and lower zones at start of race - maintains it all way to Paris.
    2013 Tour: rubbish. Serial plodding Brit(ish) Mark II tries to pull wool over eyes of traditionalists by cynically adding erratic and unmatchable speed to serial plodding.
    2014 Tour: rubbish. Awful, in fact. Victory handed to serial plodding Sicilian who carries on serial plodding when all proper GC hopes have crashed out. Travesty.
    2015 Tour: rubbish. Plucky Colombian serial plodders have a vain crack at Brit(ish) serial plodder (the cynical one) who pretends to be peeky to maintain some sort of interest. Bless 'em.

It's an awful sport with nothing to commend it if the Tour is regarded as its pinnacle. Roll on tomorrow when we've got a full 49 weeks before this dreary bag of sh!t starts up again.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My favourite was ATC's Gonzo pic - perfect :)
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    A late entry coming upon the rails... FocusZing's podium picture on the "How Good is Chris Froome" thread.

Every time I look at it, it makes me laugh!
    FocusZing wrote:
    CoOyIXbW8AAAgg-.jpg
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    hypster wrote:
    A late entry coming up on the rails... FocusZing's podium picture on the "How Good is Chris Froome?" thread.

FocusZing wrote:
    CoOyIXbW8AAAgg-.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    hypster wrote:
    A late entry coming upon the rails... FocusZing's podium picture on the "How Good is Chris Froome" thread.

FocusZing wrote:
    CoOyIXbW8AAAgg-.jpg

That is hilarious! :lol:
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Great posts by all, but underlayunderlay's Lord Nelson post and FocusZing's pic are in the final. The pic wins it for me!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Mrs Cows's Gonzo picture wins for me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mrs Cows's Gonzo picture wins for me.

Eh hem, Dr Cows if you please. :wink:
  • hypster wrote:

FocusZing wrote:
    CoOyIXbW8AAAgg-.jpg

How to Get Ahead in Cycling
  • above_the_cows
    hypster wrote:

FocusZing wrote:
    CoOyIXbW8AAAgg-.jpg

How to Get Ahead in Cycling

280?cb=20111115223501
  • takethehighroad
    Our 30,000 posting friend got in touch to say he enjoyed this effort from Rick.

You win the Maillot FrancaisLutte
    Oh Mollema.

You wally.

Bardet shows how it's down. Decent ride.

Hard to tell if Froome is on a different bike; he rides like he's on someone else's all the time.