Groupsets compatible with stock allez 2016

Kwif007
Kwif007 Posts: 39
edited July 2016 in Road beginners
Hi guys

Can one of you advise if the 105 5800 groupset is compatible with my 2016 allez, how would I know if the wheel is 11sp compatible?

Also not sure how I know front derailleur fits

Any advise welcomed :)

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The Allez is a highly upgradable and excellent frame.

The 105 groupset would be fine but personally I would wait until the current components are in need of replacement before changing groupset.

Not sure on the wheels being 11 speed. Most new ones today will be, but not sure about the stock Felt wheels. Tbh these would be the best thing to upgrade first imo.
  • Kwif007
    Kwif007 Posts: 39
    Cheers for the advice mate, not looking to upgrade anytime soon, just couldn't figure out compatibility

Any recommendations for good Upgrade wheels?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Depends on budget and what type of rider you are.

Anything like the fulcrum 7s or aksium will be an improvement to the stock felts (which are not at all light!).
    If you have the extra you could look at fulcrum 5s or even try to stretch to some fulcrum 3s or mavic kysriums - with either you would most definitely notice a difference to the ride.

Any new wheelset is likely to be 11 speed so when/if you do upgrade to 5800 105 you won't have the compatible wheel question to worry about.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    It's unlikly the stock wheels will be 11spd if the bike didn't come with an 11spd groupset. They are probably 10spd max.

Your current front derailleur will be either braze-on or clamp-on.

When choosing the groupset choose braze-on. Then buy a braze-on to clamp-on adapter if needed. Choosing this option will give more options if you ever change your frame. Otherwise you could be stuck with clamp-on FD which wont fit a new frame. Then you'll need to buy another FD.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Either way, the existing FD will not need changing, as it will work fine with whatever new parts you fit. Although, as mentioned previously, I really wouldn't be bothering....