Hip Pain

zanelad
zanelad Posts: 269
edited August 2016 in Training, fitness and health
Anyone have anyou ideas why I have started getting pain in my right hip after cycling?

I've ridden for years (not literally :D ) without any issues, but on the last two occasions I've experienced pain in my right hip. Today it started after 4 miles. The time before was after 20 miles, but the pain didn'the make its presence known until I was home.

Thanks, Z.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    First and most obvious question - have you made any changes to your bike setup?
  • zanelad
    No changes whatsoever. I've 2 bikes and both have been ridden and both times its been painful.
  • Fallen off? Taken an impact?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • zanelad
    No. That's what's odd. Suddenly it hurts to ride after years with no issues at all.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Unintentional setup changes? I.e. Slipped seat post, slipped cleat?

Have you upped the mileage recently?

You say ridden "for years" then say "not literally" - if you want serious help, be more specific.

Changes off the bike - new mattress, new desk chair, new car?

Do you run or do other exercise?

Where in the hip exactly is the pain - inside / outside? More in the groin? Tender to touch the outside (Bursitis?)

Without a face to face assessment, the closest guesses we can give will require a lot more specific information.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Zanelad wrote:
    No. That's what's odd. Suddenly it hurts to ride after years with no issues at all.

if it's bad/worrying you, see your gp
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • zanelad
    I said not literally, as some might take it literally when I meant I've used bikes for exercise for many years. Sorry if a light hearted comment upset those of a more serious nature.

The pain feel like a mild burning sensation on the outermost area of the hip. At a point in a line from the crease of the groin to the outside of the leg.

Nothing about the bike set up has altered. I've got marks on seat posts to check any movement. No new equipment, both bikes have the same saddle and pedals.Shoes are not new, but in good condition and comfortable still.

I don't run, cycling is my only form of exercise. No changes at home or work. I'll see my gp in a couple of days if the pain continues.

The pain had eased a great deal and walking was much easier. However, having thought things were on the mend I went for a ride this morning and within 4 miles I could feel the pain returning.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Do you stretch post ride ? - how old are you ?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Zanelad wrote:
    I said not literally, as some might take it literally when I meant I've used bikes for exercise for many years. Sorry if a light hearted comment upset those of a more serious nature.

Still you haven't given an answer. it's nothing to do with being light hearted or serious, it's about requiring this important bit of information in order to give you informed advice.

Never mind, good luck with it.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    IME that doesn't sound like arthritis - early onset hip arthritis is often felt in other areas rather that the hip.

I reckon tight hip flexors - a bit of stretching possibly under the guidance of a physio should get you sorted.
  • smudgerii
    smudgerii Posts: 125
    Secteur wrote:
    Zanelad wrote:

Still you haven't given an answer. it's nothing to do with being light hearted or serious, it's about requiring this important bit of information in order to give you informed advice.

Never mind, good luck with it.

Jeez, get over yourself. If the OP fails to give enough info to warrant your obviously valuable imput then just don't reply.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Groin pain is often a sign of problems within the hip joint. Pain within the hip joint is most often, but not always, experienced in the groin. Pain over the outside of the hip is usually not caused by a hip joint problem, and is more commonly related to hip bursitis or a pinched nerve in the back.

Hope that helps. I had this pain for years while riding but it mainly disappeared after the joint 'warmed' up. May be an idea to have a word with your Doctor just to be on the safe side.

I ended up with a hip replacement 3 years ago, but I always knew that was going to happen with my joint. NI'm not saying that's your issue but I'd certainly ask a GP to have a look.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Are your cleats badly worn?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Tight/overworked TFL? Could mean that your glutes aren't doing their job properly.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/anatomy/human-muscles/tensor-fascia-latae
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Sounds like bursitis.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    There are various causes for this unfortunately. Bike setup is a good starting point. If your saddle is too high this can cause hip pain as you over stretch to the pedals.