Rear Post Mount on New Frame

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
All

I've just got a new frame which I was putting together this afternoon. When trying to put the rear brake on to the post mounts, the top one waas very stiff and wouldn't go in all the way (using standard Shimano 18mm bolts with SLX caliper).

Has anyone had anything like this before and is it worth getting the thread chased (it looked clean but you never know hey?)?

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    My instinct is that this could go one of two ways if you try to sort it out. Personally I would be inclined to return it for a new one if that is a practical option. Legally it should be fit for use if it is new and if not then the problem should have been declared.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • wilkij1975
    It is from Propain in Germany so not really practical to return. I've contacted them so will see what they say. Just wondered if it could be paint in the thread or something?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It could well be just paint in the thread, it's why paint clearing threads exists for specific uses!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wilkij1975
    Yeah, I had a look from the underside today and it does look like there's paint in there. I need to take it to the shop anyway so will get them to look at it.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    It needs a clearing tap run through it to clean out the paint. LBS should be able to do this for you
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    2 min job with a tap, LBS will sort you out as stated