eBay selling

SME
SME Posts: 348
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
(I hope I've chosen the right forum for this)

Has anyone on here sold on eBay recently?

I've just sold some sports equipment, some ice skates and some bike parts. I've known I can print off an address label, but apparently I can now also type in the weight and/or size of the parcel and pay for the postage (out of PayPal) before I even get to the post office.

How accurate are the postage costs when done this way?

The buyer has also requested a different post method... I think eBay calculated the postage but the buyers choice seems cheaper... How does that work? (I will, of course, refund the difference to the buyer)

Any help forum members can give is appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    When you click on the purchase postage link it gives you whatever options you chose when you listed the item. (for overseas postage it takes you to PayPal.)
    If you click on the "update postage" it will give you a list of alternative options such as Collect+ or Royal Mail tracked. If the customers preferred option is not there, then I would do it outside PayPal/ebay and send the customer a refund of the difference via PayPal explaining what the refund is for.
  • SME
    mrfpb wrote:
    If you click on the "update postage" it will give you a list of alternative options such as Collect+ or Royal Mail tracked. If the customers preferred option is not there, then I would do it outside PayPal/ebay and send the customer a refund of the difference via PayPal explaining what the refund is for.

Cheers.

Do you know how accurate the calculated postage charges are? There's a little size and weight calculator there?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    SME wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

Cheers.

Do you know how accurate the calculated postage charges are? There's a little size and weight calculator there?

The dimensions and weights on ebay come from the carriers sites, so are usually accurate. You need to ensure your own measurements are accurate, as sending an item with postage due is not good for feedback.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Sold some stuff recently, glasses, saddle, tights, shoes and some other bits of clothing. Just put down roughly what we thought it would cost to post and package.
  • SME
    Just an update, in case anyone reads this later...

Printed the labels straight off eBay/PayPal (£7.98 for a cycle frame, ParcelForce 48) - buyer said it was delivered on time with no extra cost. Ebay did suggest £15 p&p when I first listed which the purchaser paid - I refunded the difference, it seemed the fair thing to do.

Steve