Low cost Smart Phone packages for teens

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited August 2016 in The cake stop
My daughter (17) needs a new phone. I'm thinking of getting her a contract - she's not working so needs as low a monthly fee as poss - I'll help her with the initial phone cost if it means a reduced monthly tariff. She'd need a data heavy package so less interested in text/minute bundles and would like at least 4GB data PM.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on navigating the millions of deals? What experiences of GiffGaff?

Cheers!

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    My daughter is 16 and has an iphone,
    GiffGaff is brilliant, i bought the phone and all she needs is the £7.50 package, all her family an friends are on GG too.

we r on BT BB at home, she can sign into any number of free BT hot spots and in town, there is loads of free wifi networks, so why pay for data?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Don't get her a contract. Your name will be on it so if there are any overage issues you will have to pay. Have her go PAYG so there can be no fees for going over limits.

I use GiffGaff and it works fine for me. I use an appropriate Goodybag bundle for my usage.
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    cheers guys, GiffGaff looking good. Now to find a 'cheap' Samsung S7!
  • mamba80
    bartman100 wrote:

i was starting to think you sound a genuine guy until you said you were getting her a S7, thats child abuse LOL!

jus one thing, i ve put her on auto monthly top up only, it introduces a level of self discipline, once its gone, its gone! and she has to wait till the next top-up occurs but she can still ring me on GG in case of emergency.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    wongataa wrote:
    Don't get her a contract. Your name will be on it so if there are any overage issues you will have to pay. Have her go PAYG so there can be no fees for going over limits.

I use GiffGaff and it works fine for me. I use an appropriate Goodybag bundle for my usage.
    Can't you get contracts that cut you off when you run out?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    mamba80 wrote:
    bartman100 wrote:

i was starting to think you sound a genuine guy until you said you were getting her a S7, thats child abuse LOL!

jus one thing, i ve put her on auto monthly top up only, it introduces a level of self discipline, once its gone, its gone! and she has to wait till the next top-up occurs but she can still ring me on GG in case of emergency.

Is there some problem with the S7 I don't know about? Mine's been faultless...
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have giff gaff too , perfect for keeping a lid on things.
    With regards the phone am a reading it right a £500 phone ?I must bea technophobe as i woudlnt even spend that on myself, at 17 she should be saving any money / allowance and paying for it herself.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • mamba80
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    bartman100 wrote:

Is there some problem with the S7 I don't know about? Mine's been faultless...

No, i'm sure its fine, android thats all :)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    wongataa wrote:

Can't you get contracts that cut you off when you run out?
    I think there are only a couple that can do that. If those aren't suitable for other reasons then you are out of luck. To make sure there are no possible over use issues PAYG is the only option though.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Tesco mobile have capped contracts and you can choose the limit. Works perfectly for my daughter. She has a decent inclusive allowance with a stingy buffer if she goes over. If she goes abroad, I up the buffer until the next billing month. Easy to do online and very flexible.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Go with a 4th gen Moto G https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-g great phone and only £169
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    OnePlus X @ £189. Best Phone I have ever owned!

Three PAYG plan