Damaged pivot mount

leighton40
leighton40 Posts: 7
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
12 months ago bought a ktm phinx full suspension off ebay. (My first full sus mtb).
This year I started taking it to the trail centres at llandegla and cannock and have started to get addicted.
At the end of a ride recently I noticed that the rear suspension right hand main pivot bolt (hope my terminology is right) had come undone and was sticking out.
I tried to tighten it up later but it just turns freely even though I can push it right in and doesn't tighten. On taking it apart for a closer look it looks as though the thread in the frame where the pivot bolt threads into has worn and damaged. I undid some of the other pivots to compare and the threads are all intact. However the bearings are all knackered.
I realise at this point I should have taken better care of the pivot bearings and might have avoided this.
Is there anyway I can fix this or am I going to need to buy a new mountain bike?
If I ever buy another one I am going to buy from my lbs and get them to service it regularly as I accept I am not the best mechanically.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just replace the bearings.
    They're sealed bearings, you can't service or maintain them. Just avoid pressure washing the bike.
    Use decent quality bearings, ideally enduro bearings which are specifically designed for part turn applications like suspension linkages. More money but they last longer.
    The thread could possibly be repaired with a helicoil. Take it to a good bike shop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, a decent bike shop (or a local machine shop) and get it helicoiled.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok cheers.