New to tubeless, may need to replace rim tape

jonathanuk
jonathanuk Posts: 67
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
So, I have a tyre full of sealant that currently also contains an inner tube because I had a major air leak through a spoke hole, I suspect the rim tape wasn't seated correctly so would like to replace it. I have no idea about rim tape or what's best to use for mtb or tubeless, I have read about Stans No Tubes but what about others? What would be the best way to proceed in terms of cleaning off the existing (only a few weeks old) sealant? I have found numerous YouTube videos about applying rim tape for tubeless but nobody seems to mention doing it on a wheel that's already covered in sealant.

My plan:
Buy new tubeless rim tape
Buy new valve (I accidentally left the valve by the road-side when I fitted the inner tube in order to get home, wasn't fun being miles away from home with sealant on my hands)
Take off tyre and wash off sealant
Remove inner tube and wash off sealant
Wash sealant off rim
Remove rim tape
Fit new rim tape
Fit new valve
Fit tyre
Add sealant
Close tyre
Pump up to 50psi fast as I can so that the tyre pops onto the rim
Swish the sealant around until there are no leaks evident
Leave overnight

Any pointers for the washing part and which valves / rim tape to look for, or anything else I should know would be most welcome.

Comments

• kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Probably somewhere between new valve and new tyre I would make a nice cuppa...

Gorilla tape is your friend here.
  • or any other duct tape. IMO

I have a cheapo duct tape, and works like a charm on a non tubeless rim
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Been using duct tape for 3 years now, never had any issues from the tape but rather the execution of the process, take some time to clean the old sealant, hot soapy water and a hard sponge would do the job, apply tape carrefully and it will work
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • jonathanuk
    Thank you for the advice, I will try the hot soapy water to get the sealant off and look at tape options.
  • jonathanuk
    Hot soapy water worked a treat to wash off the old sealant, the older dried stuff didn't shift but the rest came away easily. The tape that had been fitted was actually the wrong width - 20mm instead of 25mm (the width of the wheel rim), I purchased the correct width, fitted it, fitted a new valve, popped on the tyre, added sealant, pumped it up to 50psi (very easily this time, I might add) - no air leaks. Will see how it is in the morning but I'm confident it's now sorted. Riding this weekend so we shall see, knowing my luck it'll be the back wheel that goes this time, it no doubt has the same 20mm tape in, but at least I have tape now so I can fix it myself. Just couldn't be arsed cutting down duct tape.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Did you swing the wheel around so the sealant get to pores on the sides and the on the rim?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut