Rain come down, forgive this dirty town Friday thread

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,330
edited July 2016 in The bottom bracket
Wot no takers?

Piddling down. Weather forecaster lied.

Off for shopping and forest walk in the rain.

Laters.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I think it rained last night, there was some evidence of it this morning. Forecast is for light cloud today so it may well rain again.
    Quite busy at work this morning, dead pig will be consumed in a couple of hours and it's cake Friday so all is well with the world. This all helps maintain my god like figure.
    Wife is stressing about finances after the news last night university tuition fees are going up. We have an endowment maturing soon that could pay 40% of the mortgage. But she wants to keep it towards the university fund. I think the money is better spent reducing the mortgage payments by paying a lump off, then we will be able to subsidise him better on a month by month basis. Unfortunately I can't do the figures to prove it one way or the other. What do we think?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    Warm and sunny here in hills today, I think the front of the house needs some attention this afternoon and then an early night as we're meeting at 6am for Saturdays ride.

V68, make him work a night shift. Bloody kids these days have it easy!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think it rained last night, there was some evidence of it this morning. Forecast is for light cloud today so it may well rain again.
    Quite busy at work this morning, dead pig will be consumed in a couple of hours and it's cake Friday so all is well with the world. This all helps maintain my god like figure.
    Wife is stressing about finances after the news last night university tuition fees are going up. We have an endowment maturing soon that could pay 40% of the mortgage. But she wants to keep it towards the university fund. I think the money is better spent reducing the mortgage payments by paying a lump off, then we will be able to subsidise him better on a month by month basis. Unfortunately I can't do the figures to prove it one way or the other. What do we think?
    unless the endowment money is giving a higher rate of return than you're being charged on the mortgage, it's better to pay off the mortgage to avoid wasting money on interest payments

another consideration would be if it's likely you'd need to take a loan at higher interest than the mortgage to cover any other short term outgoings - if so, consider putting some of the endowment money, say 10-15%, in a saving account (if you can find one paying useful interest) or an isa, just to have some contingency
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    V68, make him work a night shift. Bloody kids these days have it easy!
    Well he is in the workhouse at the moment.
    Working in here after last week he now knows the difference between working in the rarefied atmosphere of F1 if he does well, or the reality for most of working in a dump like this. Certainly has put things in perspective for him.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Credit to our two boys, they were largely self-financing through university, and are now in full time employment and starting to pay back their respective student loans.

I think we may have to help them out with deposits when they come to settle down and try to buy properties though...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    Some friends and us have boys of the same age, 13, and both have all the family allowance (I think that's what it's called) paid into the kids bank account for that exact reason.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    Credit to your boys indeed Keef. Our lad is talking about other ways of financing things and is talking about working part time. He even spoke to the military types about sponsoring his degree, but the EPO doesn't want him in the military. Although I doubt an engineering graduate would be in the front line he could be posted anywhere. He's investigating sponsored degrees through industry as well. The Mrs does like to worry, it's what she's best at, so I'm trying to show the best way for us to be able to supplement his income. She'll worry anyway so I'm going to lose whatever I do.
    Good plan HD.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Glorious sunshine here in sunny dorset. Collected my haribo and new shorts on the way to work. Will test them with an after work ride to the outlaws in wincanton. Finally get to test next years solidworks, NX and AutoCAD software before it rolls out for next academic year.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Credit to your boys indeed Keef. Our lad is talking about other ways of financing things and is talking about working part time. He even spoke to the military types about sponsoring his degree, but the EPO doesn't want him in the military. Although I doubt an engineering graduate would be in the front line he could be posted anywhere. He's investigating sponsored degrees through industry as well. The Mrs does like to worry, it's what she's best at, so I'm trying to show the best way for us to be able to supplement his income. She'll worry anyway so I'm going to lose whatever I do.
    Good plan HD.

RAF engineer?

We've already started saving for toots 1 & 2's future, whatever that may be. So many in there 20's and 30's are still living at home with parents because getting on the property ladder is so difficult.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Getting started on the property ladder has never been easy but it must be a lot more difficult for a generation that has to have everything else as well :roll:

New cars, iPads, latest iphone, holidays, gap year world travel etc im not surprised it must be hard to get on the property ladder, best to stay at home so that you can afford the lifestyle you are told you are entitled to :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Evening wasters,

Just sorting out my cuts n bruises after a very hot day of downhill in Wales. Now in Devon having supped some cider and ready to repeat the process tomorrow :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Evening wasters,

His sorting out my cuts n bruises after a very hot day of downhill in Wales. Now in Devon having supped some cider and ready to repeat the process tomorrow :)

You voluntarily chuck yourself off and down a hill and you're hoping for street cred and sympathy ?!