Bottom brackets

Cbetts83
Cbetts83 Posts: 39
edited July 2016 in Workshop
New to road bikes and purchased a used but immaculate carrera virtuoso afew months ago. Since purchasing I've upgraded the wheels/tyres, brakes, new seat and carbon forks.

I've been offered a cheap (but again immaculate) 2010 specialized allez comp frame (frame only), with the idea of transferring everything over however I'm unsure when it comes to the bottom bracket?

The crankset on my virtuoso is a square taper FSA Tempo and from what I've read on the Internet, it possibly has a BB-UN55 68-110 bottom bracket....would this fit the Allez frame?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Frame only" - does that mean you're transferring the forks too? Do both frames take the same steerer?

Does the new frame include the headset?
  • Cbetts83
    keef66 wrote:
    "Frame only" - does that mean you're transferring the forks too? Do both frames take the same steerer?

Does the new frame include the headset?

Although I've just put carbon forks on my virtuoso....the new frame includes carbon forks and headset.
  • keef66
    That's OK then!
  • Cbetts83
    Couldn't get the bottom bracket to thread? The chainring side will screw in a couple of threads then stop, however the cup on the opposite side....screws in fine???
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    Cbetts83 wrote:
    Couldn't get the bottom bracket to thread? The chainring side will screw in a couple of threads then stop, however the cup on the opposite side....screws in fine???

Apologies if you already know this but you do know they are threaded different ways ?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • keef66
    Is it possible that the cheap but immaculate frame was cheap because somebody had buggered the BB threads?

LBS sould be able to chase the threads / confirm if they are serviceable for not much cash
  • Cbetts83
    keef66 wrote:
    Is it possible that the cheap but immaculate frame was cheap because somebody had buggered the BB threads?

LBS sould be able to chase the threads / confirm if they are serviceable for not much cash

The bike has gone into LBS. I've managed to switch over pretty much everything apart from the chain & derailleurs (not got a chain removal tool) and as I've gone from a 52cm frame to a 56cm, I've had to get the derailleur and rear brake cables replaced as there too short.

To be fair the threads looked perfect but as I've never re-fit a bottom bracket before....i didn't want to be too heavy handed.
  • keef66
    "as I've gone from a 52cm frame to a 56cm"

Christ, that's a big jump! Are you still growing, or was the first one way too small for you??
  • Cbetts83
    keef66 wrote:
    "as I've gone from a 52cm frame to a 56cm"

Christ, that's a big jump! Are you still growing, or was the first one way too small for you??

Yeah, I stupidly jumped in and bought the first bike I saw...a 52. It wasn't until I went out on my dads 56 pinerello, that I realised mine was so wrong....hence the new bigger frame.
  • Cbetts83
    Fingers crossed I get it back tomorrow!

image_2.jpeg
  • Cbetts83
    Cheers for the replies guys....it's back up and running :D