Buying/building a new bike ($2500 budget)

CynicZ
CynicZ Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
I dont have a whole whole lot of experience in mountain biking but truly really enjoying it. For someone with minimal activity history it has been a blessing to have been getting out and riding a minimal of 5 miles a day and typically around 15 miles. I originally bought a Specialized Pitch Sport 650b with the 19" frame and I love the bike, but I think I had different intentions in mind when I got it. I was originally hoping to get out and explore a lot more trails. After riding, I have found myself 90% riding street and more of an "urban assault" type riding style with minimal light trails. Jumping off 4-5' ledges to flat concrete, stairs, etc. Kind of reminds me of the days (8 years ago now) when I lived in Cali and we would build dirt jumps in the dried up river beds and just hooligan around in town on BMX bikes. I am wanting to build a bike a little more tailored to this style. I feel like with the seat extended, my straight bars are a bit too low and cause me to hunch too much (6'1"). Ive also got the feeling I need a hair lower frame cockpit after riding down a 12 step on my crotch when I slipped off the saddle (still using the plastic stock pedals).

What are some part recommendations like fork travel, brand recommendations, etc that are preferred for this style of riding.
For frame I was looking at the NS Bikes Clash frame but dont seem to find a whole lot of personal reviews. I was also thinking downsizing to the 26" wheel compared to my current 27.5". lastly I would like a frame that works well with a dropper post and is decently efficient with pedaling extended but can still drop it when I see fun obstacles around down.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which of the 14 $ you can get worldwide is that? I will assume US as they are the only ones that seem to think no other $ exists!

Sounds like either a hardtail or short travel slope type bike would suite your need, I'm far from expert in those sorts though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Well he did mention Cali, which is either a place in the States, or an Indian hooker.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CynicZ
    The Rookie wrote:
    Which of the 14 $ you can get worldwide is that? I will assume US as they are the only ones that seem to think no other $ exists!

Sounds like either a hardtail or short travel slope type bike would suite your need, I'm far from expert in those sorts though.
    Yes US my appologies, and no it wasnt because I think no other currency exist but just the fast that USD is commonly/typically used for USD :P. Also yea I was kind of leaning toward hard tail but have no experience with FS so I am kind of biased which is why I was looking for experienced advice haha.
    cooldad wrote:
    Well he did mention Cali, which is either a place in the States, or an Indian hooker.
    HAHA I lived inside an Indian hooker for years :P
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should have used USD then perhaps?

Regardless, I refer to me previous response, an aggresive hardtail for circa 150mm forks would seem ideal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CynicZ
    The Rookie wrote:
    Should have used USD then perhaps?

Regardless, I refer to me previous response, an aggresive hardtail for circa 150mm forks would seem ideal.
    Yea my bad brother. Ive never built a bike so what style of frame should I go with? I'm not sure if a real slack frame geometry would be ideal or what have you. I was thinking a more straight up and down seat post and more of a slack fork angle on 26" rims. Then I can run a dropper and still putt around town for excersize, but being able to drop it to get some clearance. Does this sound ideal or am I completely off?