Tacx Neo vs PM + cheaper turbo

mamil314
mamil314 Posts: 1,103
I am recreational rider and commuter, looking to improve my speed a bit. Not obsessed with numbers, often leave Garmin at home when riding. However, i understand that to improve i need to introduce some structured training and, perhaps, invest in either good turbo trainer or PM, or both. Currently i am saving up for Tacx Neo as it's pretty quiet, and, also, would like to see what climbs on Zwift are like; a singlespeed to replace my cross bike for daily commute is in plans, too;

Since Neo is quite an investment, I am wondering if a cheaper turbo and a standalone Power Meter would be more useful, since i would then be able to measure wattage on a 'good bike' during weekend rides and, perhaps, better pace myself when climbing. I hope to take part in Fred Whitton's challenge next year and do at least one European mountainous event to see if i get hooked.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you are not into the numbers you could just get a HRM and add some structure.
    Saying that, a powermeter is still useful even if not being fully utilized. For example, if you know your FTP, it'll help with pacing, especially when climbing.

So in answer to the question, I'd rather get a dedicated powermeter to use both on the road and a trainer.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The Neo is helluva pricey c. £900 if you're not obsessed with numbers, it depends how much the quietness etc is going to do for you. You can get a Tacx Vortex for £250 which will do most of what the Neo does in terms of gradient simulation and and a power meter to use outside for about £500 and still be left with change compared with a Neo alone.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    You dont need structured training to improve..... you just need to push yourself.

If you want to improve your climbing then the best thing is just to climb repeatedly. Push hard and recover; push hard and recover; ect. If you want to prepare for some long alpine climbs then joint your local club and take up time trialling. Then you will learn where your limits are and how to go past them.