Bottle cage mount - inventive uses?

Big_Jack
Big_Jack Posts: 82
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I got my new banshee spitfire today - it's got a bottle cage mounting point on the underside of the downtube (ground-facing).

Never going to put a bottle on it - it'd get filthy.

Has anyone come up with an inventive / interesting / useful alternative use for it?

Cheers,

Jack

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think its a crud catcher attaching point rather than a bottle cage ?

Only ever seen touring bikes with an extra mount under there...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I had an "underneath" set of bottle cage bosses added to my Condor road bike when it was built in 1987 but have never used it. I can only fit a 500ml bottle anyway. For an MTB I think anything put there would not only catch all kinds of crud, but would reduce ground clearance and likely get squashed.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Big_Jack
    drlodge wrote:
    I had an "underneath" set of bottle cage bosses added to my Condor road bike when it was built in 1987 but have never used it. I can only fit a 500ml bottle anyway. For an MTB I think anything put there would not only catch all kinds of crud, but would reduce ground clearance and likely get squashed.

This is my thinking - I can't think of anything obvious to use them for, so I wondered if anyone had a cool concoction of a device to whack under there..
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Put a bottle and stuff it with some emergency stuff, multitool, tube, tire patches etc, don't overdoit it will be heavy and may tear off the mountings on rough trails
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Put an aqualung on it then you will be able to cycle underwater.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • a friend bored two holes on a 15/17mm wrench, and screw it on there (HARO R1 FS frame if i remember correctly). It's used to reattach his crank arm when it gets loose
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I added cage mounts on the downtube of my old Carrera just for a crud catcher.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Big_Jack
    Cheers all! May look into the crud catcher - I'm sure I have one laying about buy always thought that they were attached by the little rubber bands.

Herdwick - that's a really good suggestion. I'm doing a couple of 3/4 dayers over fairly manageable terrain this year so that's a good solution to getting my tools off of my back!

Aqualung would be the holy grail of mods. Maybe you could mod it to provide a boost!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can fit a CC with rubber bands but you'll spot some mounting bolt holes as well, neater and less chance of paint damage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.