Cuts in tyres

geode
geode Posts: 25
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
I'm using michelin pro4 service course tyres. Just got back from my second ride on these tyres and the front tyre has a slice in the middle of the tyre around a cm long and a couple of mm deep, the rear tyre has a graze on the shoulder that has cut the threads in the tyre and created a wee lump. Are both tyres a write off?

Any suggestions for tyres less prone to cutting or have I just been very unlucky?

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    write off? I doubt it!

Obviously, photos would help, but as long as you can't see the inner protective fibres (if your tyre has a protection belt), or it's not through-and-through, with no glass/flint still in the cut, you should be ok.

Tyres get cut up pretty quickly, even when always trying to avoid the dirty parts of the road.

When I was new to cycling I was surprised how quickly cuts appeared, and I think I posted the same thing, but it's ok as per the provisos above.

PS another common issue is sometimes you get long threads coming off the tyre side wall - discussion here (and with the manufacturer) has deemed this to also be a non-problem, just in case it happens to you. I often find a "thread" on my side wall, and when I pull it, it's like unravelling a wool jumper and about a metre can come away. Never had a problem with this either.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    hmm - "wee lump" - that sounds a bit closer to terminal than just the few marks in the front tyre ..
    under pressure the wee lump could split and expose the inner tube. Not quite so critical on the rear as it could be on the front but now you've noticed it you should look to see if you can resolve it.

I have "repaired" small split sidewall tyres with tyre boots, gaffer tape and glue - similar to others on these forums - there's still a slight bulge to the damaged area, but no lump and no chance of the inner tube sticking out. Even so I only use these tyres on the rear and only when the ride I'm doing doesn't matter if it goes pop.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Yes, sorry, I missed the "wee lump" bit. Cuts are one thing, but a lump indicates the tyre has been significantly weakened at that point, and that could be a problem.

Worth mentioning that it's good to consciously avoid riding too close to the kerb where all the glass etc gets swept, and extra care during hedge cutting season - thorns are lethal!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What PSI are you running on these and what width ?

When I was on michelin I'd seal any small cuts/holes in the tread with a dab of superglue. (dig any object out first though).

Now I run Contis and don't bother. They just wear really well.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:
    yup - it's just the sidewalls that "give up" .... well - get cut quite easily ... although I've mostly been ok this year. :)
  • geode
    geode Posts: 25
    Fenix wrote:

When I was on michelin I'd seal any small cuts/holes in the tread with a dab of superglue. (dig any object out first though).

25mm and 95/100psi.

I was using a cheap pair of kenda tyres for months and they've been faultless, I'm riding the same routes too so it's really puzzling why the Michelins are suffering.

Thanks for the heads up about super glue.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Unless you're a big guy I think you coukd lose some pressure. I don't run my 23s that high.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Fenix wrote:

Don't use superglue to seal cuts. The glue hardens and acts like a flint causing exactly the problem you are trying to avoid. If you must put something in the cut use a rubbery type sealant that will not fully harden (the stuff used for repairing wetsuits is good)
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Lumps are usually a bad sign. I have Pro4 endurances but a nice chunk of glass tried sneaking into my inner tube ended up with a bulge under pressure. You need to flex the tyre to open up the cut to see if it hits the Kevlar underneath. Also check inside see how much damage has been done inside but sounds terminal.
    I know me saying ive had a puncture isn't a glowing endorsement but id see about changing it over for an endurance Ive done over 1000 miles an that was the first puncture I'd had. Light cuts though are to be expected were in the UK after all