" Slipping Under Load "

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Just picked up a used Anthem 29er. I ve replaced the chain and the cassette and the front chainrings look okay for now . Still got a rounded rather than V shape profile, But will probably swap them soon when finances allow.

Basically under load, especially on Inner ring at the front and when climbing the bike slips ( almost like ghost shifting ) although the chain doesn't move across the cassette,

Is this A , The Pawls in the Freehub going?

Or B , Should I replace the front chain rings as well.

I suspect as the chain isn't actually moving across the block its the Former, Freehub issues?

Wheelset is the Giant 29ER P-XC2 .

Thanks for any insight Tim

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Check both to be sure as being a used bike there is bound to be some wear and re greasing needed.

I'd take the cassette off and check the freehub for any play in it.

You can tell if its the chain rings by putting some pressure on the cranks and see if the chain moves on the front ring, I had a chain jump a little on a worn ring as there was too much space between the teeth.

Get on to superstar website and order a narrow wide there on offer 33% off to clear stock for the new 12 speed compatible version they are releasing soon.
  • tim_wand
    swod1 wrote:
    Check both to be sure as being a used bike there is bound to be some wear and re greasing needed.

I'd take the cassette off and check the freehub for any play in it.

You can tell if its the chain rings by putting some pressure on the cranks and see if the chain moves on the front ring, I had a chain jump a little on a worn ring as there was too much space between the teeth.

Get on to superstar website and order a narrow wide there on offer 33% off to clear stock for the new 12 speed compatible version they are releasing soon.

Have returned to this MTB malarkey after about 20 years exile in Roadie land. " Whats Narrow/ Wide" mean? take it , it's the profile of the Teeth/ Ramp on the rings to promote a better engagement with the chain.

As the bikes not known to me going to replace the front chain rings ( I ve just got a new HGX chain / 10 speed )

and probably get at least the Rear wheel serviced . Full bearings and Free hub. Should sort it and give me peace of mind.
  • tim_wand
    Okay got it. Basically a chain consists of a series of links, made up from outer plates and rollers and inner plates which alternates link after link, Thus Narrow , Wide. Can see how that would work.

Seems most common on single ring set ups! Can only find 104 bcd ( my outer ring ) or 96/ 94 take it this is because its for single ring set ups? Think my rear mech is a clutch type, and I could fit an expander (40t ) which with a 36 front would probably give me all the gears I need in a simpler set up!

Current set up is 2 x10 xt/ slx combo 11 / 36 cassette with xt rear mech.

as below

anthem_zpsy0utir1z.jpg

So basically is narrow wide just single ring set up? Is my Rear mech a clutch type ? and take it , if it is its longer enough to replace the 17t with a 40t expander and run single speed set up.

I ll go on Sheldon brown to work out the gearing if I can?

Sorry but 20 plus years a roadie I m off the boil with this MTB game.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Narrow wide is indeed for single ring only. (It can be run twin ring but shifting is horrendous, but some people fit a granny ring and manually shift it (no mech) for climbing.

That looks like a clutched rear mech but the photo isn't the best so can't be 100% sure.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    That's of course if you want to go single ring otherwise just buy the compatible chain rings for the slx crank.

I just mentioned the superstar offer as every man/woman and there dog is going single ring seems the new craze in the mtb world.

104bcd is the standard size used on most crank sets for middle/outer chainrings, only the newer shimano xt 1x11 and sram that have started to use 94/96 bcd.
  • tim_wand
    Cheers Guys! Been doing a bit of reading around the Narrow Wide 1 x 10 set up through threads on here and other areas, as Swod says , seems all the rage at the moment.

Think Initially I m going to get the rear wheel serviced, Full bearings and Freehub replacement as and if required.

If I ve still got issues then, I will look at going 1 x 10 with a Narrow wide front ring. Most likely a 32 or 24 and then fit an expander. 40 t.

Pretty sure my rear cassette is an XT 11- 36. So this should be fairly straight forward. Need to re assure myself all is well with the freehub first.

Once again cheers for the help.