I'm Sorry! It costs f**king HOW MUCH?????

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited September 2016 in The cake stop
For her upcoming birthday, the natural blonde indicated a mild interest in the new Dyson hairdryer.

A quick search on Amazon reveals the item is in stock and weighs in at a modest £448.50!!!!!!!!!!

FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY F**KING POUNDS FOR A F**KING HAIRDRYER!!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYSON-Superson ... hair+dryer

I mean really, I understand development costs and all that but £450............really?

Comments

• florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    crispybug2 wrote:
    For her upcoming birthday, the natural blonde indicated a mild interest in the new Dyson hairdryer.

A quick search on Amazon reveals the item is in stock and weighs in at a modest £448.50!!!!!!!!!!

FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY F**KING POUNDS FOR A F**KING HAIRDRYER!!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYSON-Superson ... hair+dryer

I mean really, I understand development costs and all that but £450............really?

that's why Dyson was not worried about Brext - EU is too poor to buy his products
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    £300 for Dysons own site.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/haircare/superso ... croll-shop

Still, think of the counter point that this provides you for justifying bike bling.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - half the price of an Ultegra Stages PM at RRP
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I had the same experience last night. Saw the advert on TV and though hmmm, interesting. Could be a good pressie for the daughter, sure, it'll be top dollar but surely top dollar for a hair dryer is c£100 right? Wrong.
    Amazon is a rip off at that price though as it is RRP £300.
    The Amazon reviews are great though. A handful of actual owners really rate it, the remaining reviews (the majority) are people slagging off the price despite not owning one and other users trying to balance out the negativity by giving it 5 star reviews despite them not owning one either.
    Anyway, won't be buying one. But if I had the spare cash, I suspect I would. Clearly a clever piece of tech.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I find a towel dries what's left of my hair quite adequately, and there was a bloke selling them in my local five bath towels for £12 yesterday. I didn't purchase though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I thought this would be about bike bits...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    If you do get one there's some useful advice from James Dyson:
    UGnqdhc.jpg
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well if its as useless as his hand dryers, then a set of towels would do the job better
  • stu227
    stu227 Posts: 31
    I quite like the hand dryers - if you follow the instructions and the machine's been maintained properly, they work really well. Much better than the imitation ones.

The vacuum cleaners on the other hand are a complete con. I've yet to hear of anyone who's bought one of the vacuums and been pleased with it. In contrast I've got a 15 year old German manufactured 'sebo' (you often see them in hotels and hospitals, unlike dyson) and it's still working as well as the day we bought it, despite having used it to pretty much hoover up the remnants of two re-built houses!

But £400 for a hairdryer is absurd.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    awavey wrote:
    well if its as useless as his hand dryers, then a set of towels would do the job better
    Oh God yes! Dyson make the worst hand dryers ever. Hygienic my fat hairy @rse. Put your hands in then slowly pull up. Meanwhile your hands are bumping into the sides which are often manky due to poor cleaning. Paper towels are best, just dry off most water then a fresh sheet to dry the rest off. Or just wash, shake and go.

Dyson = over priced and over marketed. Some items work but others don't IMHO. If you've the spare cash then why not?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    awavey wrote:
    Oh God yes! Dyson make the worst hand dryers ever. Hygienic my fat hairy @rse. Put your hands in then slowly pull up. Meanwhile your hands are bumping into the sides which are often manky due to poor cleaning. Paper towels are best, just dry off most water then a fresh sheet to dry the rest off. Or just wash, shake and go.

Dyson = over priced and over marketed. Some items work but others don't IMHO. If you've the spare cash then why not?

You must have very fat hands if you can't get them in and out of a dryer without touching the sides.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • florerider wrote:

that's why Dyson was not worried about Brext - EU is too poor to buy his products

I think it was more about the fact that he moved his whole manufacturing department to Malaysia over 10 years ago
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    £450 a lot of money for a blow.

Whilst we're on the subject, what the hell is a "digital motor"?

I was looking for an answer to that, and found this....

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/12/13/eevbl ... marketing/

... which made me realise how much Mr Dyson is taking the piss.

The older I get, the better I was.

• tangled_metal
    seanoconn wrote:
    awavey wrote:

You must have very fat hands if you can't get them in and out of a dryer without touching the sides.
    Not really. I just find the Dysons I've used don't blow evenly and my hands move around within the dryer. Also I have hands in scale with my frame, I'm tall and slim, so to dry my hands it just feels like I'm reaching the bottom of the dryer. To me it isn't a good design, from the closure aspect through to the airflow inside it. Not a good design IMHO, ymmv of course.
  • hantstooflat
    hantstooflat Posts: 122
    seanoconn wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Not really. I just find the Dysons I've used don't blow evenly and my hands move around within the dryer. Also I have hands in scale with my frame, I'm tall and slim, so to dry my hands it just feels like I'm reaching the bottom of the dryer. To me it isn't a good design, from the closure aspect through to the airflow inside it. Not a good design IMHO, ymmv of course.

Do you struggle to hold your handlebars steady as you ride on a bumpy road?
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    morstar wrote:
    I had the same experience last night. Saw the advert on TV and though hmmm, interesting. Could be a good pressie for the daughter, sure, it'll be top dollar but surely top dollar for a hair dryer is c£100 right?

Anyway, won't be buying one. But if I had the spare cash, I suspect I would. Clearly a clever piece of tech.

unbelievable, i sincerely hope your daughter doesnt read this, finding out her simple needs are not worth even a paltry £300 is going to take months of counselling to get over

Poor creature, how little her father values her

i wonder how much your bike cost ? shame on you, go out right now and buy her TWO :shock:
  • tangled_metal
    Different action completely.

What's with this defence of Dyson hand dryers? Can't people have different opinions over Dyson products without an argument? You don't work for Dyson or represent them in any way do you? :wink: Tin hat firmly on with that tongue in cheek comment.

You like them i don't. Simple as that. For me they don't work any better and in some ways I feel they're worse than others. My preference is those with a tighter, round air jet that even come with uv light, which I feel isn't needed BTW.

It feels like Dyson looks for a design difference they can hang a patent application and marketing campaign on. Consider just how many patents they took to completion in the first Dyson cyclone vacuum. They had patent pending for so long, could it be Dyson innovations don't often get through the patent process? Cyclone technology was around for quite some time before Dyson and in a close enough application to make the Dyson applications unlikely to succeed.

Don't get me wrong about my views of the Dyson company, the man and their approach. I think he is almost a genius in the way he has driven the company to where it is. It's a great success story for sure. He's had good design and has driven the idea of r&d spending for competitive advantage. I just do not buy into the idea his company is getting things right in design for everything.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I worked in Malmesbury (not for Dyson, I might add) when they shipped out all the jobs. I like the spin from the company "The spokesman added that the move to Malaysia had not been about reducing the company's cost base but reinvesting the savings in research and development." Yeah, tell that to the unemployed.

I think the hairdryer thing is similar to a lot of the products that one sees in Harrods, etc., all very good but just stupidly priced for people who can afford it. Cheapo towel for me, but I don't worry too much about any rough-handling damage to my hair because it is ginger and therefore generally considered to be a blight upon humanity.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dyson was also a Brexiteer.

His main complaint was that EU restrictions made it harder for him to get talented people from outside the EU to come and work in his labs in the UK.

So he wanted extra immigration ? Whilst shipping the bulk of his jobs abroad.

I won't be buying Dyson anything now.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited July 2016
    Fenix wrote:
    Whilst shipping the bulk of his jobs abroad.

It would be worth checking your facts on this.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Capt Slog wrote:
    £450 a lot of money for a blow.

Whilst we're on the subject, what the hell is a "digital motor"?

I was looking for an answer to that, and found this....

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/12/13/eevbl ... marketing/

... which made me realise how much Mr Dyson is taking the wee-wee.

I would assume a "digital" motor is simply a brushless motor?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Fenix wrote:

I'm not sure what the facts are but in one bit of Leave propaganda it claimed that he moved manufacturing to Malaysia using an EU grant. Why the hell would the EU pay for someone to move a factory out of the EU? So I suspect there is a lot of total horseshit written about that move.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Fenix wrote:

ooh you tease ! Come on either give us what you know or don't mention it don't just ask us to go and do further research.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    Fenix wrote:

His main complaint was that EU restrictions made it harder for him to get talented people from outside the EU to come and work in his labs in the UK.

That approach might be a problem if you have a SKY subscription. Even more so if you find that your local water company CEO is a Brexiteer.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

That approach might be a problem if you have a SKY subscription. Even more so if you find that your local water company CEO is a Brexiteer.

I now spend as little as possible in my local Costcutter. I fear my boycott of Wetherspoons will have as much impact as my boycott of Starbucks. I am prepared to give Murdoch another chance.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    mamba80 wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    I had the same experience last night. Saw the advert on TV and though hmmm, interesting. Could be a good pressie for the daughter, sure, it'll be top dollar but surely top dollar for a hair dryer is c£100 right?

unbelievable, i sincerely hope your daughter doesnt read this, finding out her simple needs are not worth even a paltry £300 is going to take months of counselling to get over

Poor creature, how little her father values her

i wonder how much your bike cost ? shame on you, go out right now and buy her TWO :shock:

Boll0cks. Banged to rights :cry:

In all seriousness, she's far more into travel and gigs than vanity products which is pretty cool by me. Happy to fund life experiences wherever possible. That's why I thought a vanity product would be a nice treat as not the sort of thing she normally gets. At £300 she can remain blissfully unaware of what daddy isn't buying her.
    Should she ask for one (or two as you suggest) we'll have to work on out an exchange rate in trips and gigs per hairdryer.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

I do...but are the two linked :?

I just dont like the hand dryers, they arent kept clean properly so always look horrible and they dont dry your hands no matter how you do it, and you just end up waving them around as long as a normal hand dryer which seems to defeat the whole point of them.

I do like the vacumn cleaners though, 16 years old and still going strong :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Got fed up of cheap vacuum cleaners breaking (due to 3 long haired females in the house) so spent the extra on a Dyson. It just broke even more quickly, it seems to go into a form of 'limp mode' when the filters need cleaning but fails to work again once they've been cleaned. It was dire and we now use a simple, cheap cylinder type vacuum instead.

Slightly confused by claims they've moved all production overseas though as I'm sure my company were paid for work on a new factory in Wiltshire!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

And this is different to other UK manufactured products how?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:
    Slightly confused by claims they've moved all production overseas though as I'm sure my company were paid for work on a new factory in Wiltshire!

Again "all" production and "some" production. Mass production products and smaller production high value products.

They moved a lot of their production to Malaysia but that doesn't mean they don't have any production in the UK (even if that production is pretty small scale)