Bike Upgrade

bayhota
bayhota Posts: 40
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Having got into cycling this time last year, and having been well and truly bitten by the bug, I’m looking to upgrade my bike.
Last year I bought a Trek 1.2, has done the job up to now, but I need something a wee bit better after clocking up around 5k of miles since July of Last year.
Three models in looking at are
• Trek Emonda Alr 6,
• BMC Team Machine SLR02 105
• BMC Granfondo GF01 105 Disc,

These would be ranked in order of price, and from the videos I’ve watched online Is there really much difference between the Trek and the GF01 to warrant an extra £700?
Is there anything else on there you would recommend?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• hucko003
    hucko003 Posts: 28
    I would go for the SLR02 - great frame and good comfort. With the Granfondo, you are paying for the frame which truly is excellent. The SLR02 is a bit heavier, less stiff but unless you're a pro, you shouldn't notice a huge difference. Then over time, upgrade the wheels on the SLR02 and you will have yourself a really nice bike! The Emonda ALR is a good one too and represents the best of aluminium frames but both of the carbon models are higher-end so I would say outweigh the aluminium one. However, if you went for the Emonda you could upgrade the wheels there and then and then have a very nice bike from the get-go. Interesting one but if that was me, it would be the SLR02
  • bayhota
    My budget at the moment is around £2k, i dont really want to spend £2k but i really like the look of the BMC. But in Northern Ireland there is no where that retails them, so I cant go and see one.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    bayhota wrote:
    My budget at the moment is around £2k, i dont really want to spend £2k but i really like the look of the BMC. But in Northern Ireland there is no where that retails them, so I cant go and see one.

Gallagher Cycles in Donegal seem to stock BMC if you fancy a trip over to throw your leg over one.
  • bayhota
    I can pick up a BMC Teammachine SLR03 Carbon Shimano 105 2015 for £1100 new. Would there be much difference between this and the 2016 SLR02?
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 284
    there's a triathlon shop in belfast stocks BMC bikes