Taking a Bike into shop for "Shopping" vs Push Chairs

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
Rant type thing, mainly for "quaxers" (carrying shopping stuff on your bike).

Took a large detour to pick stuff up from a shop over the weekend, and there were no safe lock up points nearby.
Given it was a click and collect style pickup, I thought stuff it, and carried my bike into the store, following someone who was pushing a pushchair.

Got told off by an oik - "get that dirty thing out of my shop".
My response? "errr.... what about those push chairs covered in dog poop, compared to the bike I cleaned yesterday... "

"Rules be rules" :roll:
Right or Wrong? What would you have done?
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Rant type thing, mainly for "quaxers" (carrying shopping stuff on your bike).

Took a large detour to pick stuff up from a shop over the weekend, and there were no safe lock up points nearby.
    Given it was a click and collect style pickup, I thought stuff it, and carried my bike into the store, following someone who was pushing a pushchair.

Got told off by an oik - "get that dirty thing out of my shop".
    My response? "errr.... what about those push chairs covered in dog poop, compared to the bike I cleaned yesterday... "

"Rules be rules" :roll:
    Right or Wrong? What would you have done?

Well, you've got to get out if you're told so, I think. Just don't go back in. I can see it being a problem in small shops, just at a practical level. I haven't had a problem in big stores, but I've only done it a few times.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'd have been inclined to throw a full on strop and let them keep whatever it was I had purchased (with a refund presumably...)

Are we talking a shop with an amazon collect locker or what here?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've taken my bike into a Bank before .... forgot to take a lock - it wasn't busy and they have plenty of floor space - it was clean (my bike - and their floor) and they didn't say anything.
    I wouldn't normally though ...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    It's like guide dogs vs non-guide dogs. They're all dogs, but some things are easier to leave outside.

I just learn which shops offer a drive through service and reward them with my custom.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I've wheeled mine into a local restaurant a couple of times to order take out - not a problem. If it's a little corner sweetshop that was too small for the bike I'd open the door and yell for what I wanted!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Cycled to a shopping center, went to lock my bike to a lamp post and was stopped by a security man who said I couldn't leave my bike there, when asked why he replied, because it's dangerous, someone may walk into it, i said my bike would stop them walking into the lamp post, he didn't think that was at all funny :D

I said they should have bike racks, he wrote it down, and two weeks later they had two sets of bike racks :shock:

Quaxers rule :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    "get that dirty thing out of my shop"

Very professional there.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    He was talking to the bike.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    I tried to get a cup of coffee at the drive through at McDonalds and they told me to go inside with the bike!

Never had any problems in Cafe Nero, they even ask me if it is to drink in!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Having had two bikes stolen from outside shops/train stations in the past couple of years, frankly my bike is either in my hand or under my arse.......no exceptions!!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Wel that's a good bit of feedback, thanks.
    I was worried that I was doing something of out of the ordinary: I'd ha e understood a bit more if it was a grocery store, or a tiny store, but it was a giant, open plan catalogue store...
    A also glad to see that there are other Quaxers on here :-)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    but it was a giant, open plan catalogue store...
    Argos? Shee-eet man, you have to wipe down the seats in there.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    full of people looking out of place in sports wear, what on earth was the problem?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I often pop to Wholefoods after Saturday morning chaingang. I just leave my bike near the cash desks and ask the nearest cashier to keep an eye on it.

Considering the size of pushchairs/buggies that some entitled wankers push around shops, a bike is hardly causing a problem.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Shopping? Bicycle? That's what the SUV is for ;-)
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I often pop to Wholefoods after Saturday morning chaingang. I just leave my bike near the cash desks and ask the nearest cashier to keep an eye on it.

This
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    ukiboy wrote:
    Shopping? Bicycle? That's what the SUV is for ;-)
    I thought the SUV was for getting the brats to school, Ocado for food shopping and get Jean Louis to deliver anything too big to carry.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Wel that's a good bit of feedback, thanks.
    I was worried that I was doing something of out of the ordinary: I'd ha e understood a bit more if it was a grocery store, or a tiny store, but it was a giant, open plan catalogue store...
    A also glad to see that there are other Quaxers on here :-)
    If they want your custom, then you should expect a shop minion to hold the bike. Hell, if it was my shop, I would hold your bike. Is customer service dead?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dirty Protest.