Squeaky brakes.

solidsneek
solidsneek Posts: 57
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have currently got a bad case of squeaky brakes when I am downhill pressing hard on a brake.

Any tips to get rid of it? I work at an industrial company selling all sorts of WD40 etc

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most squeals are due to contamination in the pad, dust and grit and other assorted debris.

Pour some water through it and then do some good hard stops from reasonable speed.

Some squeals are resonances (avid brakes with metal pads and lightweight discs are very squeal prone) and you have to change something to fix it.

To help fix the squeal either keep the WD40 at least 20 feet from the bike, or spray the disc copiously with it - it will probably fix the squeal but at the expense of having absolutely no braking effort at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes brakes just make noises. If mine are particularly bad I try and play tunes.
    Often happens if you drag the brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've only had this happen when using resin pads they either just glaze easily or squeal when a bit of mud or something has got on to the brake surface.

clean up the disc with isopropyl alcohol and give the pads a sand with some wet n dry paper should sort it out but make sure the pads are re bedded in, that's of course there not badly glazed which you would be worth off using a new set instead.
  • solidsneek
    solidsneek Posts: 57
    Thanks guys!!