Can someone explain this to me.

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited August 2016 in The bottom bracket
I work and receive a salary.

You work and receive a salary.

Why the hell is it accepted as the norm to give teachers a salary, 48 weeks holidays a year and then presents at the end of the year. And they still freakin' whinge.

No one gives me presents at work for doing my job and if I did ask for them they would tell me to bugggggggger orf.

Presents to teachers for no real reason. Discuss.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Taxi drivers
    hairdressers
    Waiters
    Dustman
    Postman
    Milkman
    Bartender
    Pizza delivery
    Newspaper boy
    Loo attendant
    Chambermaid
    Room service
    Teachers
    Armed muggers
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    There's a difference to minimum wage jbs and the professional teaching profession. I don't mind tipping the pizza boy who I know is earning £8 an hour working hours on end in all conditions delivering stuff to people.

But giving presents to teachers - that one is still unfathomable. I thought they did it to benefit the young, educate people, all that jazz. The endless weeks of holidays and decent pay should be reward enough.

I do instructional stuff at work but I don't expect anyone to chuck me a packet of pork scratching and 20 Gauloises as as a thank you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • team47b
    box of choccies, I'd want danger money to spend time with them all day every day :D
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447

Why the hell is it accepted as the norm to give teachers a salary, 48 weeks holidays a year and then presents at the end of the year. And they still freakin' whinge.

No one gives me presents at work for doing my job and if I did ask for them they would tell me to bugggggggger orf.

My wife has just walked in with a huge box of presents from the kids she teaches. Why do they give her presents? Because she's a good teacher, and the kids (plus their parents) like her.

Sh*t/unliked teachers get less presents.

Ps: If it's such an easy job, why don't you train to be one? Nothing is stopping you. It's easy to moan when you obviously have little idea of what the job entails.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    when i were lad they got bugger all, although i recall seeing one flour & egged for bullying someone

i suspect the present giving craze was started by the yummy mummy clique and then spread via peer pressure until it was endemic, children not doing it risked being branded tight or even worse poor

which has nothing to do with teachers, it's by no means an easy job, good teachers are one of the greatest assets of a civilized nation, i'd rather they were paid well and respected by society
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • team47b
    No-one said teaching was easy, just why the pressies?

I was a university lecturer, I had 21 weeks off a year 50k but where were my pressies, I feel robbed :D
  • Matthewfalle
    NorvernRob wrote:

My wife has just walked in with a huge box of presents from the kids she teaches. Why do they give her presents? Because she's a good teacher, and the kids (plus their parents) like her.

Sh*t/unliked teachers get less presents.

Ps: If it's such an easy job, why don't you train to be one? Nothing is stopping you. It's easy to moan when you obviously have little idea of what the job entails.

No one is saying that it's an easy job but it's not exactly 12 hours a day down a coal mine/6 months in Helmand/paramedic doing double shifts and clearing up the detritus of society.

I actually did think of doing it prior to choosing my eventual degree but chose another path. I have a few friends who are teachers and they aren't a bad sort.

But you haven't answered the question - why the presents? Isn't a decent salary/loads of holidays/job satisfaction enough? I thought teaching was a vocational from the heart to make the world great sort of thing?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The teachers are the ones receiving the gifts and they are not out there touting for them, it's not up to them to justify them! You should be asking those who are doing the gifting...which is something entirely their choice so why worry?
  • Matthewfalle
    The teachers are the ones receiving the gifts and they are not out there touting for them, it's not up to them to justify them! You should be asking those who are doing the gifting...which is something entirely their choice so why worry?

Errrr - that's what I'm doing. Therefore the thread title " Can someone explain this to me".

Or to make it simpler: Why do you give teachers presents?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • verylonglegs
    OK, just think of all the times you've ever given someone a present and why and how you felt. Then work it out from there.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    team47b wrote:
    No-one said teaching was easy, just why the pressies?

I was a university lecturer, I had 21 weeks off a year 50k but where were my pressies, I feel robbed :D

Perhaps they were trying to tell you something.

Wear it like a man MF.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    OK, just think of all the times you've ever given someone a present and why and how you felt. Then work it out from there.

It's their job.

My daily present to them is paying my taxes so that they get their wages.

No one has exactly explained why they do it apart from because everyone else does it and they want to be part of the gang.

Me no understand.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447

Errrr - that's what I'm doing. Therefore the thread title " Can someone explain this to me".

Because over the year(s) pupils spend a lot of time with their teachers and develop a relationship, then they move up a year and move into another class. I'd say it's a combination of thank you and leaving presents (I know the teacher isn't leaving, but the pupils are leaving the class and they won't be seeing their current teacher much anymore).

Our own son had his last day at nursery this week, we sent a box of chocolates and a nice card to his teacher. Why? Because she's a nice person and made our son's time there enjoyable.
  • Matthewfalle

And anyhow, it's not like you've given a mate a present - thought of them, know what they like, chosen it, wrapped it, etc. It's a bottle of plonk in a plastic bag.

Why?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    My little one is moping around like she's at a continuous funeral. She loves nursery. It gives her something that we cannot simulate at home.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited July 2016
    NorvernRob wrote:

Because over the year(s) pupils spend a lot of time with their teachers and develop a relationship, then they move up a year and move into another class. I'd say it's a combination of thank you and leaving presents (I know the teacher isn't leaving, but the pupils are leaving the class and they won't be seeing their current teacher much anymore).

Our own son had his last day at nursery this week, we sent a box of chocolates and a nice card to his teacher. Why? Because she's a nice person and made our son's time there enjoyable.

You paying her wages which meant she had a home/food/clothes makes her time enjoyable.

Still no understand the desire to give gifts to someone doing their job.

No one gives the local Bobby a bottle of plonk for solving burglaries/rapes/murders etc and I suspect that's a tad harder and maybe more traumatic than teaching.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    My little one is moping around like she's at a continuous funeral. She loves nursery. It gives her something that we cannot simulate at home.

That's because you have made her do nothing but strip wall paper for the past two weeks.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

That's because you have made her do nothing but strip wall paper for the past two weeks.

lol
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would have more than happy to give anyone a present who was prepared to spend their working with my teenage daughter in her Rebel with out a clue phase.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited July 2016
    Webboo wrote:
    I would have more than happy to give anyone a present who was prepared to spend their working with my teenage daughter in her Rebel with out a clue phase.

But why?

Teachers know what kids are like before they enter the profession so why should they get presents for doing their job?

It's like someone giving me a box of Ferrero Rocher for wearing itchy clothes and clomping shoes every day.

I still no understand and the fact that no one can give me a proper answer means that there is actually no reason - much like voting Lib Dem, people are just doing it ....... Because.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    I thought I knew what kids were like having been one, but that didn't prepare me for anything. :shock:
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    I thought I knew what kids were like having been one, but that didn't prepare me for anything. :shock:

But teachers (well they do round these parts) get to do school placements both before and during teacher training and you would have thought that anyone with half a brain cell would visit a potential work place or at least talk to someone doing the job they want to base their entire polyversity years and working life doing.

I know that I did which is why I decided not to go for a couple of careers I contemplated and ended up doing what I do.

Still no awnswer to the original question, just lots of hand wringing.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    Nurses get paid a decent salary however they often get presents as patients appreciate what they do and the care they give. Also they appreciate the s**t they have to put up with from some of the public and the way the NHS is run these days.
    You could say well they choose that career and they did placements so they should have known what it's like.
    But I guess that's way they are all leaving and there is a recruitment crisis.

Oh that's a bit like what's happening in the teaching profession.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    Nurses get paid a decent salary however they often get presents as patients appreciate what they do and the care they give. Also they appreciate the s**t they have to put up with from some of the public and the way the NHS is run these days.
    You could say well they choose that career and they did placements so they should have known what it's like.
    But I guess that's way they are all leaving and there is a recruitment crisis.

Oh that's a bit like what's happening in the teaching profession.

Utter bollllllocks. Nurses are on a pitiful salary not to mention a pitiful salary when looking at the training/hours/kind of work they do/situations they deal with.

I'll swap you a week of teaching for a 12 hour shift in a city ED department on a Saturday night any day of the curriculum.

Crappy day with kids shouting at you or drunk people trying to punch you, a couple of dead ones, much longer hours, night shifts, double and treble shifts, cleaning up blood, puke, poo and wee, not to mention the other unsavouryness.

I'm sorry but that's an utterly ridiculous comparison. Come third manning with me and you'll see the joys of people .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    Pardon my ignorance but what is third manning.
  • pinno
    I'll be the fourth man.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I'm still bloody furious that my taxes pay for MatthewFalles coffee, weight sessions and yummy mummy chats. Can't we cryogenically freeze him or something till there's a war on.

Missus is now a teacher, she gets presents from the kids because she's lovely. But we give presents to our kids teachers because we want them to remember to be nice to the little ones, but that's more at Christmas.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    I may be wrong on this but I think the incidence of teachers being murdered by pupils is higher than nurses by patients.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    I'm still bloody furious that my taxes pay for MatthewFalles coffee, weight sessions and yummy mummy chats. Can't we cryogenically freeze him or something till there's a war on.

I'll second that. Worse, if there's no war on - he's in here being a miserable, curmudgeonly git.

Perhaps we should have a whip around and get MF a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers.
  • verylonglegs
    Yes excellent idea, let's shower him with gifts and see if he refuses on principle. I'll wrap up some Obermayers and if he accepts then we know he is a filthy hypocrite.