Full Suspension Trail Bike £1400 max

JayX2A
JayX2A Posts: 113
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm getting a FS this summer instead of another HT. Budget is max £1400.

I have been looking at new and used (that fall within a workable travle distance)

Norco Fluid 7.1 - New from Evans:

https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fl...-bike-EV243391

Trek Fuel EX 8 2015 - looks near to mint! £1525 but guy is open to offers due to ebay/paypal fees:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222173385770? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Giant Trance 2 2015 - £1100 but also open to offers, not sold on the frame design, but any riders might have views:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291793720545? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Specialized Camber - over budget so not sure - £1500

https://www.evanscycles.com/speciali...-bike-EV244851

Still looking at pinbilke each day to see if anything close enough pops up.

Any advise or views on the above would be great.

Comments

• JayX2A
    Nice, but needed a medium in the giant and they gone.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited July 2016
    How about
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/nerve/ ... l-7-0.html

6 is even cheaper - all on sale at the moment and a very decent deal.

I don't like Norcos - everyone I know of has had bits drop off, and a PITA to get spares.
    I wouldn't buy a 'hardly used' bike off someone who can't be bothered to give it a clean before taking pictures.
    Giant looks ok.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JayX2A
    Nerve looks good, lot of money for the price!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Boardman Pro? Has great reviews, 1x + Pike fork
  • XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    A Canyon Spectral 5.0? Or is that pushing the budget a bit?
  • JayX2A
    XCMark wrote:
    A Canyon Spectral 5.0? Or is that pushing the budget a bit?

Already pushing budget so need to keep as close to £1400 as can.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd go for the Trance. Absolutely superb frame. Great build quality. Decent value. Good warranty. Pretty much indestructible.
    For me there'd be no contest at that price.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    edited July 2016
    I'd go for the Trance. Absolutely superb frame. Great build quality. Decent value. Good warranty. Pretty much indestructible.

^^

@Jayx2a

Why are you not sold on the frame design?
    Get the Trance and spend the difference on a dropper post.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giants rear suspension is about the best there is. It's extremely efficient and nicely sensitive with a nice rising rate which makes it feel bottomless.
  • JayX2A

Will go try it if still there and see what he wants for cash!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    In a classic suggest what you own, I'd go for the Trance too and with the spare cash get a dropper and sort out the cockpit with a shorter stem and wider bar.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Boardman pro fs
    Yt jeffsy, don't know the pound-euro rate but imagine is close to your budget
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • JayX2A
    oxoman wrote:
    Jay suspect most of us are suggesting the Trance because its a no risk purchase. Maestro pedal/ suspension system one of the best, aftermarket service good, plenty of stock so no waiting for delivery, good quality kit fitted and able to ride on the trail from the off without wanting to modify.

That one on ebay is still there - just waiting to hear back where it came from and that its not missing from someone else!

Its still £1895 on Giants web page and he is open to offers so guessing its avaliable for under 1K
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    oxoman wrote:
    aftermarket service good

It is, however he'd be buying second hand...
  • JayX2A
    Guy on eBay is being a bit sketchy now, not convinced!
  • kickaxe
    JayX2A wrote:

Uhhh not good. What's going on?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • JayX2A
    Kickaxe wrote:
    JayX2A wrote:

Uhhh not good. What's going on?

First he said the pedals were a little scratched, then said they were very scratched. Said frame was mint, but then said it was covered in dust and would wipe down to check for scratches. Lol
  • kickaxe
    Well, go take a Look for yourself, take some photos of things that concern you, tell him you will think about it, post the pictures here and we can talk.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • JayX2A
    I was going to but it's further away than I thought! Have asked for some more pics but his responses are not very good English !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The bike in the pictures isn't covered in dust, neither are the pedals scratched, although pedals would be the least of my concerns.

Perhaps he's a psycho serial killer trying to lure you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JayX2A
    cooldad wrote:
    The bike in the pictures isn't covered in dust, neither are the pedals scratched, although pedals would be the least of my concerns.

Perhaps he's a psycho serial killer trying to lure you.

Indeed it looks new in the pics!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Looks mint on the pictures. I always think it's odd when someone is selling something of that value goes to such little effort with their ad.

Still, it may be a bargain if he can prove ownership.
  • JayX2A
    oxoman wrote:
    Having looked at his feedback as a seller and how the bike is advertised I wouldn't touch it. You would be better buying new and having warranty and somebody to go to if you have problems. Possibly look at Calibre Bossnut as a starter full sus bike.

Was thinking the same... the fact he has messaged me twice giving me exact times when he is in and how cash on collection is best I am becoming less interested!

The bossnut looks ok, but not convinced on the front fork and few other bits.
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    I would be cautious about the Trance on ebay. It is a great bike indeed but that is one poor advert.

Even when I sell low value stuff on ebay, I always add at least 5 pics and outline the condition and any blemishes. If selling a bike, I would add the full 12 pics, describe what parts it has and know/list any marks or damage.
  • JayX2A
    Yeah I think I will give it a miss, he doesnt seem to want to send me any more pics but has said he has the receipt from Cycle Surgery. Will keep on looking for alternatives!

Like the look of the Trek on ebay but its still at quite a high price!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    If he has the receipt I'd go and look at it. It may be he's just shit at ebay, or perhaps English isn't first language.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    JayX2A wrote:
    If in doubt, walk away.

I pick up my Boardman FS pro soon, with discounts, it's around £1250