Boris Johnson is foreign secretary?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
I can only assume that Mrs. May offered the job to Prince Phillip while she was at the palace, but he wasn't available.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Act of genius when he is forced to resign in a matter of weeks so nailing down the lid on his career coffin.

Or a calculated two fingered salute to the rest of the world
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Or a calculated two fingered salute to the rest of the world

This .

He'll be smiling like a cheshire cat when he meets his euro mates for the first time.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    I suspect it will be like Bo Duke says...
    Boris will enjoy his meetings with foreign leaders...
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    good to know we live in a country where lying, repeatedly, over many years, is no barrier to high office
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • surrey_commuter
    ukiboy wrote:

But what are we hoping to gain? Unless it is just the clown to quit. If so it is a potentially expensive game.
  • ukiboy
    That's politics for you... Blair, Brown, Clegg, Kinnock etc have made a career from it.
    Show me a politician who claims to never lie and I'll show you a liar.
  • surrey_commuter
    sungod wrote:
    good to know we live in a country where lying, repeatedly, over many years, is no barrier to high office

I imagine a lot of people who thought it funny to vote for him to be mayor are regretting it
  • ukiboy
    SC - what are we hoping to gain? Call me a cynic but I have little faith in politicians; ultimately they are in it for their own ends and it's been this way since way back when...
  • surrey_commuter
    ukiboy wrote:
    That's politics for you... Blair, Brown, Clegg, Kinnock etc have made a career from it.
    Show me a politician who claims to never lie and I'll show you a liar.

There is a big difference between the odd lie or misrepresentation and building your career on lying.
  • surrey_commuter
    ukiboy wrote:
    SC - what are we hoping to gain? Call me a cynic but I have little faith in politicians; ultimately they are in it for their own ends and it's been this way since way back when...

Good point. So what I meant is what is Theresa May looking to gain?
  • ukiboy
    SC - they are all the same. Boris is a minnow on the lying political stage. Let's look at St Tony. Now here's a man who has built a career on lies, who's sent British youth to their deaths in needless wars and who's a multi multi millionaire.
    Boris is a lightweight in comparison.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    sungod wrote:

I imagine a lot of people who thought it funny to vote for him to be mayor are regretting it

tbh he did some good things as mayor

the trouble was not only that you could never trust him, but that he seemed to think bluster and buffoonery was an acceptable response whenever he was caught out, which to me suggests a fundamentally unethical character
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • surrey_commuter
    ukiboy wrote:
    SC - they are all the same. Boris is a minnow on the lying political stage. Let's look at St Tony. Now here's a man who has built a career on lies, who's sent British youth to their deaths in needless wars and who's a multi multi millionaire.

That was lying after he hit high office.

Boris has been fired for lying. He also made a career out of writing lies in his articles. He told endless lies in the referendum then back tracked on the lot four days later. He is now Foreignn Secretary.

I don't really care as it is insignificant compared to his immorality and all round fuckwitterry.
  • It was Boris or Gove as one of them was needed to help re-unite the party and Gove shot down any chances with his approach when entering the leadership contest. As much as many on here want it, it cannot be a remainers only team otherwise the same splits still exist behind the scenes. I cannot believe how many are blinded to this by their own myopia!

I'm more concerned that Hunt has kept his job and not been jettisoned. He's done more damage to the NHS than any Brexit vote will do!
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy wrote:

Boris has been fired for lying. He also made a career out of writing lies in his articles. He told endless lies in the referendum then back tracked on the lot four days later. He is now Foreignn Secretary.

I don't really care as it is insignificant compared to his immorality and all round fuckwitterry.

No, he lied while IN high office! His lies and disingenuous efforts led this country into a needless and unwanted war.
    Boris is a lightweight compared to Tony when it comes it lies and deceit.
  • surrey_commuter
    ukiboy wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

No, he lied while IN high office! His lies and disingenuous efforts led this country into a needless and unwanted war.
    Boris is a lightweight compared to Tony when it comes it lies and deceit.

But we are arguing about whether being a proven liar should prevent you from gaining high office

Why do you think I would defend Blair?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    My issue with Boris is that he himself doesn't seem too sure which side of the referendum result he sits on
  • surrey_commuter
    It was Boris or Gove as one of them was needed to help re-unite the party and Gove shot down any chances with his approach when entering the leadership contest. As much as many on here want it, it cannot be a remainers only team otherwise the same splits still exist behind the scenes. I cannot believe how many are blinded to this by their own myopia!

I'm more concerned that Hunt has kept his job and not been jettisoned. He's done more damage to the NHS than any Brexit vote will do!

If you have to appoint a clown why not keep him internal? home office and defence are both big jobs.

You have stressed the importance of intl relations for months - it risks sending out an isolationist message.
  • surrey_commuter
    Garry H wrote:
    My issue with Boris is that he himself doesn't seem too sure which side of the referendum result he sits on

Popular consensus is that he wanted a close vote to get some more leverage for renegotiation- that in itself would boost his standing at Westminster where he is not very popular
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:

Popular consensus is that he wanted a close vote to get some more leverage for renegotiation- that in itself would boost his standing at Westminster where he is not very popular

My guess is similar.
  • Giraffoto
    Garry H wrote:

I agree. He probably wanted to narrowly lose and so appear to represent a large slice of public opinion. On the back of that he could raise his profile in mainstream politics (rather than the media soundbite show )

And I can see that Mrs May has put him somewhere where he'll make an unforgiveable gaffe and have to disappear. If she just ignored him he'd have his own "wilderness years"
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto
    But still. Boris Johnson, foreign secretary.
    Bl00dy hell.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    v2MlgX.gif
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Yebbut.

The May may be cuter than we think. Get the Leavers inside pixxing out rather than the other way round.

Put Leavers into the 3 key slots where they have to deliver and be seen to deliver, not just soundbite as per usual Bojo boxxox, real upside. You lot got us into this omnishambles, ok crack on and get this bright new future you promised us all.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    orraloon wrote:
    Yebbut.

The May may be cuter than we think. Get the Leavers inside pixxing out rather than the other way round.

Put Leavers into the 3 key slots where they have to deliver and be seen to deliver, not just soundbite as per usual Bojo boxxox, real upside. You lot got us into this omnishambles, ok crack on and get this bright new future you promised us all.

But they are all so full of it they actually believe their own bullsh1t which makes them more likely to do even more damage.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    orraloon wrote:
    Yebbut.

Yes but .... TM has also said we face a bright new future, if or rather when these fcukwits fcuk up, she ll get the blame too.

we face some very serious issues being in Europe but not part of the EU, BJ is a big clown and Fox is a proven liar, Davis is a lose canon, once again keeping the Tory far right happy, has become the imperative, not sorting out the countries future trade and immigration policies.
  • Bo Duke
    ukiboy wrote:

But what are we hoping to gain? Unless it is just the clown to quit. If so it is a potentially expensive game.
    The strongest message is that he's not there to compromise. If A.N. Other had gone over then the Germans, French etc.. would spend the first 6 months trying to wear him down convincing him to accept a compromised deal. Boris is like sending Mike Tyson to retrieve the football that went over the fence. Black and white 'Hello boys'.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • surrey_commuter
    Bo Duke wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

The strongest message is that he's not there to compromise. If A.N. Other had gone over then the Germans, French etc.. would spend the first 6 months trying to wear him down convincing him to accept a compromised deal. Boris is like sending Mike Tyson to retrieve the football that went over the fence. Black and white 'Hello boys'.

But he is nothing to do with exit negotiations.

What does - Black and white "Hello boys" - mean?
  • Bo Duke
    By definition, as foreign minister the diplomacy aspect is top of his agenda.

'Black and white' means something is obvious.

'Hello boys' refers to a lingerie advert which Boris might just utter when he meets his counterparts for the first time.

Milk and sugar SC?
  • Giraffoto
    . . .
    But he is nothing to do with exit negotiations.
    . . .

That's a very good point. There's a minister for Brexit. It's not Boris, so he won't be allowed to have anything to do with it. There's a minister for trade deals - again, not Boris. So he'll be able to drop an apalling gaffe, say something that would raise eyebrows at a cross burning, in a slightly less critical arena, and then be sacked into oblivion to settle whichever dispute he's started.
    XM-057 rigid 29er