New fork for Anthem X2 2013

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Mornin all,

I am thinking of upgrading my forks on my Anthem x2 2013

Now i have standard Rockshox Reba RL 100mm 15mm thru-axle tapered.

I am after 140mm travel.

What would you recommen?
New or used?

£400 is max I can spend.

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Think you would be better off with 120mm on an Anthem 140mm might be a bit much of a jump.
  • kinioo
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Think you would be better off with 120mm on an Anthem 140mm might be a bit much of a jump.

Yes, was considering 120mm,but still not sure what (make model) to go for??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For 120mm you could stay at a smaller stanchion, something like a Rev, or step up to a bigger stanchion like the Pikes, it really depends on how you will use the bike, the Revs will be a bit lighter, the Pikes extra stiffness will be a benefit for rougher trails/bigger hits.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you want more travel you should be able to just change the airshaft to get 120mm, you can then change the damper which would work out cheaper than a new fork. If you are going for a new fork you'll want at least the RCT3 model from RS (IIRC the top end SID now comes with a charger damper) or a factory unit from fox. if you can find one then a manitou marvel/minute pro would is a good alternative.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I put 120mm Revs on mine and was very pleased over the old Recons much lighter and plusher.
  • kinioo
    Cheers guys.

Can't see any 120mm rockshox rct3.... All of them 150/160mm??
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I put a 120mm Reba on my old 2012 Anthem. I definitely wouldn't go longer than that.
    12m suits the bike really nicely, the RL Reba is a perfectly decent damper. The RCT3 is certainly better but I really liked the RL Reba, it's a little crude but the minor inadequacies aren't so obvious on a shorter travel fork.
  • kinioo
    oxoman wrote:
    Just double checked, looks like the pikes are available in 120mm for 27,5 only and 130mm / 140mm in 26 wheeled version.

Yes. So do you think guys 130mm will be OK or should iIsource 120mm ssomewhereelse??

C.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't go 130mm on an Anthem. The Revelation can be dropped to 120mm.
    I wouldn't fit Pikes to an Anthem, it's so stiff that it will highlight the flex at the rear of the bike which is barely noticeable with a 32mm fork.
    The Anthem isn't a hard hitting bike and isn't designed for the type of riding which 35mm forks like the Pike are intended for.
  • kinioo
    I put a 120mm Reba on my old 2012 Anthem. I definitely wouldn't go longer than that.
    12m suits the bike really nicely, the RL Reba is a perfectly decent damper. The RCT3 is certainly better but I really liked the RL Reba, it's a little crude but the minor inadequacies aren't so obvious on a shorter travel fork.

Cheers mate: do you mean something like this: http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... 0wodfBwLvg

C.
  • kinioo
    Guys what about something like this :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox- ... -prod90169

How do they compare with RockShox Reba ??

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    Not sure what steerer your bike has now, but both those are tapered.

One to consider
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suntour-Epico ... SwAL9UgfqS
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure what steerer your bike has now, but both those are tapered.

One to consider
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suntour-Epico ... SwAL9UgfqS

Good find Rookie - thanks, however I need tapered fork :)

C.
  • The Rookie
    Can use a crown race adaptor!